ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 139 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#30019 09/29/03 09:32 PM
J
Jim M Offline OP
First off I hope everyone has recoverd from the storm. George, how did you make out in VA?

Sadly, 2 were killed while trying to restore power in Maryland. One was a tree trimmer, the other might have been a lineman, I never heard.

Just a reminder, Work safely.

Peace,
Jim

#30020 09/29/03 10:48 PM
G
The lineman was a guy named Presley. I know a bunch of 'em but don't know if I know him.

I was without power only 3 hours, some still don't have it. 33 people died due to the storm, and there are collateral deaths not to be tallied. I have a friend in Gloucester, VA that was told by the POCO that he could expect power about 10/14.

The Potomac river changed it's course, widened by some 30'. We had all schools back on line by the following Monday, we did have to close them on the Thursday and Friday of the storm. I had no phones from Thursday until Sunday, the cell sites were slowly dying because of power and hard wire connections so it was decreasingly useless as the weekend wore on, luckily the ham radio never faltered - hee hee, HIGH TECH THAT, Isabel !!!!

For not a real big storm - it slowed down quickly once it hit land - it did a bunch of damage. I called the head lineman of the local POCO Friday to tell him we were having intermittent outages, we've known each other a long time, he had to report to VA Beach for an indeterminate period, but was told to tell his family not to expect him before 10/20, see Trumpy, it ain't all bad.

Other than that, we survived. OH, the local water authority lost power for 2 days, and the supply was contaminated. I had luckily put up about 100 gallons of water, but some folks were in bad shape, we had a boil water alert until Monday. I hesitated to buy that Big Berkey water filter......... think I'll go ahead and order that sucker now. [Linked Image]

#30021 09/30/03 06:31 PM
George:
Sorry to hear of all the grief down your way, and in the Carolinas.

Up here in NJ, we wwere/are VERY VERY LUCKY.
We had about 50k people without power, but it was restored quickly.

I noticed a crew (linemen) from Hydro Quebec in the Edison (Middlesex County) areas, and I for one would like to say "Thank You" to the guys that came here. There were other guys from other areas that came in, and the Thanks goes to all of them.

Again, we were lucky. I can start to imagine a Cat 2-3-4 'cane hitting our coast.

Again, I feel for the folks that were in harms way.

BTW, we had one fatality from the storm that I am aware of, White Twp, Warren County, killed by a falling tree.

John

John

Link Copied to Clipboard