ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 414 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#29261 09/12/03 12:40 PM
B
Big A Offline OP
Hello All,

I just got a new wood stove and I was reading the manual. It said that for mobile home installation that the stove must be grounded to the frame of the home. I have worked on a few mobile homes but I never thought that you would have to ground a wood stove. I guess it's because the flue goes through the metal siding? Any thoughts?

P
There's a line of thought that any flues, pipes etc. which cannot be guaranteed to be isolated must be securely bonded instead.

The application of one of two opposites sounds kind of screwy at first, but I think the philosophy is to avoid possible arcing at unintentional points of contact in the event of a fault (such as the flue/siding contact you mention).

That said, I've seen one or two wood stoves installed here where even in a regular house bonding the flue might have been a good idea. The installer had run the flue up through the roof space with no regard for existing electrical cables, leaving them in danger of contact and heat damage.

Link Copied to Clipboard