ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#25586 05/14/03 03:30 PM
J
james S Offline OP
At the moment my problem is that i can't seem to move into the field of electrical engineering im most interested in!
As it stands i am a newly qualified electrician currently working as an air ground lighting maintenance electrician at my local airport which i find very boring along with 0% job satisfaction.other electricians along side me are happy to watch the clock day by day, but i think the trick is , is to enjoy what you do!

High voltage engineering is one of my favoured fields(jointing).On talking to the high voltage engineer who often visits the airport, he advised me to further my education by gaining a High National Certificate and possibly more.And so i have booked myself on the first HNC course in September.

I am only 21 but don't want to get stuck in a rut!

Is there any advice you guys could give would be much appreciated thanks.

[This message has been edited by james S (edited 05-14-2003).]

#25587 05/14/03 07:50 PM
E
If you really want to get into Electrical Engineering use should enroll in a college or university that speciallizes in engineering. You might find an EE that would let you work for them while you learn. At 21, you should do what you really want to do or when you're 51 you'll wish you had. Good Luck.

#25588 05/16/03 10:51 PM
Eagle,
Now that's sayin' it like it is!. [Linked Image]
Yeah, James, do it while you're young, mate,
like Eagle said, there is no point in 30 years time, wondering what might have been,
make it happen now!.

#25589 05/17/03 02:24 PM
B
This could backfire depending on regional “division of labor” customs, but you may consider a non-mainstream approach. Have you thought of making sketches or calculations with respect to work you do that originates from the subject electrical engineer? He might get pissed at you for horning in on his domain, but then again he may eventually want to “take you under his wing.”

If you return to full-time {or even part-time} schooling, chances are you may be able to keep in contact and discuss specific practical and theoretical engineering topics you are dealing with. All too often, there can be a serious stratification between engineering subjects taught in school and common sense gained though 'in the trenches' experience. Practical aspects are sometimes {often?} missing in textbooks and the classroom.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 05-17-2003).]

#25590 05/17/03 06:13 PM
James,
What Is your schooling backround? Stay were you are and look for evening classes at your local college/university. Or start with community college at night, and finish last two years elsewhere. We have a Stephens trade school here I believe a degree from here is an assoc. 2yrs degree. and is transferable to 4yr school. Does the airport pay for continuing ed?

Ob

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.

Link Copied to Clipboard