ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
SvenNYC Offline OP
I know it's a bit trivial, but I've noticed over the past couple of weeks that the Eagle name has dissapeared from all new wiring devices.

I know Cooper bought Eagle Electric a couple of years ago and after the sale dropped a lot of Eagle's obsolete-ish products (most of the non-dead front plugs, for instance).

Why drop the venerable and well-known Eagle name and start stamping everything with a lesser-known name (I didn't know who Cooper was until I found out they bought Eagle).

Hubbell has kept the brands that they've bought (Raco for boxes, Bryant for devices, etc.). When I look for a device box, I look for Raco, not Hubbell and likewise when I go for a device; I look for either Hubbell or Bryant, not Raco.

Even Leviton has kept and uses its Snap-It (small plugs), Pacific Electricord and A.I.W.C. (wire) brands.

Sure we know they're all owned by one company but the BRAND RECOGNITION is still there (just like the Bee and Bicycle and other poker-card brands owned by the US Playing Card company and all the toothpaste brands put out by Cheeseborough-Ponds).

If I want a tool, I look for Cooper, but if I want a fuse, I look for Bussman, not Cooper.

If I want a plug or a socket, I want Eagle, not Cooper.

Yet, everything is starting to be re-branded "Cooper Mexico".

Wonder what gives? *shrug*

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. [Linked Image]

E
You're right it is trivial. Welcome to corporate America! Personally I never liked Eagle products. I use Pass & Seymor and have in the past Leviton. Both are ok to me.

E
I noticed this a few months ago. I knew who Cooper was, the also own Halo, Arrow Hart and a bunch of other companies. I think they are getting rid of the Eagle brand because it has become known as junk, much like Leviton devices. I use P&S/Slater mostly. I recently had a builder ask me what brand devices we use, when I told him he said "good, as long as you don't use Eagle". I don't know when Eagles reputation went down, but it did. I don't know that P&S is much better.

S
SvenNYC Offline OP
OK, now you've sparked my curiosity!!

Why are Eagle products considered crap and what bad experiences have you had with them?

All the relatively minor Eagle products (fuses, sockets, plugs, receptacles, switches, adapters) I've used since I've been toying with electricity were always pretty good quality.

I also always liked the cosmetics of some of them -- they've always had that old 1930s look about them [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Thanks! [Linked Image]

C
i'll have to agree with seven. i always look for eagle/cooper brand products. all ways found them to b of good quality. now levition is another story. don't lke them because of the problems i've had with them. just my 2 cents worth.

B
Sven — It is a bit surprising that the http://www.eagle-electric.com home page mentions nothing about “Eagle Electric”. [Blame it on some pinhead MBA and his hotshot financial projections.]

Maybe for wallpaper, here’s a pic from an NYC transit site dated 2/11/2001… [I can’t locate the site it came from.] http://67.115.161.42/imag/nycsubw.r36-9456b.jpg {768x512}
[Linked Image from 67.115.161.42]

S
SvenNYC Offline OP
Ahhhh yesss....

That's the Flushing-bound IRT #7 line rounding the bend to go to Queensboro Plaza station in Long Island City.

The huge "Perfection Is Not An Accident" billboard and neon sign above the factory has been gone for about two or so years now.

It is now advertising space. [Linked Image]

The neighborhood around the Eagle plants is a bit scary at night. Hookers roam the streets and who knows what else lurks in the shadows (street isn't very well lit)....don't go walking there after dark.

The train car you see there has since been painted red (since the late 80s) and are now called Red Birds. They are now slowly being scrapped and replaced with stainless steel cars.

That's a VERY old picture!!! [Linked Image]
Thanks for the memories. I grew up in that area.

Link Copied to Clipboard