ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
Edward Offline OP
I went to a clients house for an estimate. First time client. I am not afraid of dogs at all. When we walked into his(the dog) territory and my back was against him (the dog) in about 2 seconds i felt a bite on my butt. Tore my pants, gashed my butt. Some bleeding nothing major.When i called back with an estimate the client asked me if i can bring the price down. After all i got bitten by his dog instead of asking for lower price he should i think give me the job with something extra.
Some of my friend highly recommend suing the person but i don't think i have a strong case.
Anyway, anybody else got bitten by client's animals?

Edward.

Thanks
Edward
T
Hmmmmm...... Bet I can guess which one would be more profitable. [Linked Image]

Donnie
G
First the dog bites you,then the customer trys it. Ask him if he haggles with the supermarket manager over a can of beans. It seems that people are irritated over the fact that a sparky makes a few bucks!

A
Hmmm,

Gives new credibility to the phrase,
"the bid came back to bite me on the ass"!

Cliff

p.s. Glad you weren't hurt too badly. Granted that you're O.K. around dogs, did you have the feeling going in that the dog might be trouble?

Cliff

E
Edward Offline OP
Cliff,
It did not not cross my mind that the dog might bite. You know alot of dogs bark for no reason. This was not a front attack we did not see the dog coming it happened so fast that the owner was next to me and he did not even notice the dog coming. It just ran took a bite and ran back to its hole.

Edward

Thanks
Edward
P
i would at least file a police report. this way two things are happening. #1 you are alerting the police that the dog does bite. the dog might bite someone else and do more serious damage. the owner could then say that is was the first time since you did not file a report.
#2 if something just happens to be wrong with you in the not so distant future, you will have a record that the attack did happen.

check your local codes. some areas require that all dog attacks be reported.

glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt.

T
Edward,
Sorry to hear about this wound you received.
I am guilty of the exact same thing that perspective customer did. I have pets that I think would never bite anyone, thank goodness, they haven't.
This "pet" owner, like me needs to be reminded that we are ultimately responsible for what our animals do.
As for having a "case".....remember the lady that burned herself with coffee? I am not suggesting you file a suit, but I would at least request that the owner of the animal cover the cost of a pair of pants, and any medical services you sought.
As for lowering you bid, if you think your price is fair - tell the customer so.
Good luck, and if you get the bid - specify that the dog must be either restrained properly or not on the property at all, while you do the work.

Tiff

S
I hope you went to the doctor and got yourself checked out for rabies....you never know what an unknown dog (domesticated or stray) might be carrying.

Unrestrained pets also pose a danger to themselves.

Imagine Fyedeaux starting to chew at the wires in an open device box....or playing with your electric drill!!!

That may also pose a liability for the electrician because the pet owner will blame you for their pet's demise!!! They'll say..."well why did you place your drill there," or "why did you leave that box open?"

"Well Madam, I was doing the work you hired me to do...."

"You'll be hearing from my lawyer!"

==
Yesterday I was re-wiring a neighbor's floor lamp (replacing badly chewed up cord and rotten candle sockets) whilst we were at her flat watching the Oscars.

I had to keep an eye where I dropped the little trimmings and pieces so my neighbor-friend's curious cat wouldn't start sniffing and possibly chewing on them. This is the same kitty that while trying to climb up me to get to the top of the couch, dug his left foot into my stomach and scratched. Didn't do it intentionally, but it still hurt like h@##.... [Linked Image]

P.S.: How do you keep a cat away from a lamp cord?

E
Been there before! I don't enter anymore unless the dogsrestrained or locked in another room. If that is to much for the customer I just leave. Animal people don't seem to realize that the little mut is not as cute to me as it is to them. At the job I am at now there is asign on the door "Don't let two cat's out". I am not an animal sitter.

Link Copied to Clipboard