ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#20657 01/18/03 08:36 PM
H
Has anyone ever replaced a Hot Surface Ignitor in a gas furnace? I am thinking of trying...it looks simple enough. I can get the part for thiry bucks as opposed to paying fifty bucks to have the home warranty people do it...

any suggestions or thoughts?

W
Is it your house?. You have to be licenced in the State of Maine to work on furnaces but if it was mine I'd probably do it. Lots of liability with a gas appliance [Linked Image]

H
yeah guess i should have mentioned that - this is my house - otherwise I wouldn't touch it...

E
Here (Eastern Canada) the insurance companies are getting real hard to get along with. Seems like your home isn't your castle any more. You've got to do things their way now.
Doorbell rang the other day and in walked a home inspector, sent by my insurance company, to check everything out.

Something to think about.

Ed

R
Ed, did he tell you about your electrical violations? [Linked Image]

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 01-18-2003).]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
hapi,
easy stuff. 1) be sure to disconnect the power(duh) 2)don't touch the igniter surface with your hands 3)clean the grounding connection real good.

H
Now I am starting to wonder if its the HSI. There is a part that I can tap on with a screwdriver and get i tto ignite...but its not the actual ignitor I don't think - its not the part that turns red hot...

Crap - I might have to just call someone after all...leave the heating & cooling to the heating and cooling guys I spose...

E
You guys sound like every diyer "It looks easy enough" Go ahead what could possibly go wrong? KABOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!

T
I once heard from a gas utility worker:

What does he call a gas leak? Dangerous.

What does he call an explosion? Overtime.

(He was joking, I sure hope.)

L
Happi_Man...i like to add one thing.if you work on it(TURN OFF THE GAS)too.if you can get to the wiring on the igniter /put your ohm meter on it.if you get a reading it's good.no reading it's bad.like brian said,don't touch the hsi with your fingers.and if your not sure,call a heating guy in.it's only about a 1/2 to 1 hour job.

[This message has been edited by lighthouse (edited 01-19-2003).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard