ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#19996 01/07/03 12:20 AM
N
Nick Offline OP
Do GC’s want to do anything anymore? I’m working on a bid for a large project with a very large GC. Now I have run into having to provide our own means to haul off trash before but this is a first! On this project each sub is responsible for providing toilet facilities for there personal as well! I can see it now, a better part of my day chasing other subs out of our trash bins and outhouses. Geee’s! What’s next? Shall we do all the trade coordination, deal directly with owners and architects and design the projects too? ……. Oh, [Linked Image] we already do ! [Linked Image]

#19997 01/07/03 11:33 AM
H
We should do everything and just let the GC's collect the money and then not pay us...

#19998 01/07/03 01:04 PM
W
I can see it now.........card key access to your company porta pot.

#19999 01/07/03 02:34 PM
B
Nick,
I'm a GC in addition to being an Electrical Contractor. What you describe is ridiculous. What I would do is add the cost of a porta-potty to the bid (with appopriate mark-up), to include the extra time to deal with the potty people. I have never charged the subs for this and I pass the cost to the customer. Remember, not all GC's are A**H*****.

Bob

#20000 01/07/03 07:14 PM
E
I might be inclined to decline to bid on this project because if the GC is this cheap, change orders and billing will be hard to deal with. Does he(or she) not realize that this will cost more in the long run or does he think you'll just absorb the cost?

I have a few contractors that don't provide porta potty's. And they wonder why they have urine in the air ducts and sheetrock buckets full of crap. [Linked Image]

#20001 01/07/03 09:09 PM
Out of curiousity, does the Building Dept know about the multi porta potties??? What does the Health Dept have to say?? Whos going to control access to the units??

How about you and another sub "share the potti"?????

Personlly I think I would RUN away from this bid...if the potti costs "too much" how the heck do you expect to be paid?? WEAKLY???

I have to stop laughing.....

John

John
#20002 01/07/03 09:13 PM
M
I would specifically exclude the dumpster / trash removal and the porta pottie in my proposal. If they accept the proposal, so be it. If not, I wouldn't do the job.

Also, OSHA requires restroom facilities be provided if over a certain number of people are on the job. (I can't remember the number but I'm thinking its 10)

If you aren't going to have 10 or more people it wouldn't be your responsibility.

If there is going to be 10 or more people on the job (all trades combined) then it would be the GC's responsibility.

In my proposals I never even mentioned rest room facilities (because there was never a doubt who was responsible) but I did mention trash removal as follows;

Employees of (your company name here) shall cooperate with other trades by removing trash from the work area to a dumpster provided by others or to a specific location on site as specified by the owner or GC.

(Your company name here) shall in no case be responsible for any costs pertaining to trash removal.

Sounds like a CHEEEEP GC. Hope this helps.

#20003 01/07/03 09:14 PM
S
i wonder....

anyone else here carry a shovel & a roll??

#20004 01/07/03 09:19 PM
H
If it was my job, I would pay for portal potty by myself. Then I would charge everyone else a dollar a sheet for the toilet paper! [Linked Image] Seriously, once my old boss was bidding on a job and when he read the specs. he had to pay for fire extingushers! He asked the architect why did he have to included them in his bid. The architect said, "Why not. Somebody has to pay for them." SO, My boss had to go out and buy 5 fire exstingushers for that job. Go Figure.

#20005 01/08/03 05:40 AM
N
Hrm, I thought i would pass this on, i found this too funny.. I'm on a job site doing a job pulling cat 5 cables.. my company i'm working for has electricians as well, they have a job trailer, one day I was in there and I saw a partion in the trailer, they had one of them chemical RV type things in there.. i was too busy laughin..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard