ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
W
wirewiz Offline OP
A new customer is opening a new sub shop. Existing Panel is an older FPE panelboard (one of the better ones I have seen) I still recommended they replace it. They are still thinking it over, Think I have them convinced!

Does anyone know of if the bolt-on type breakers are as bad as the stab-loc? Or, are they all garbage?

Thanks,
Wirewiz

[This message has been edited by wirewiz (edited 11-11-2002).]

R
I don't know if the problems associated with FPE apply to bolt-ons, but consider the availabilty & cost of new FPE bolt-ons. How much would it really add to his renovation costs to add a new panel?
Also, double-check the Short-Circuit rating of the old equipment. The utility may have upped the Xfmr at some point since the original pane was installed.

The biggest problem with FPE, IMHO, is that the breakers don't trip under fault conditions. The price, as Redsy pointed out, is "ungodly". I usually spare no effort in trying to get people to replace their old FPE equipment. If they won't pay me to do it though, I let them live it.

Good Luck,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
A
i just had a client pay 65 bucks for a federal pacific breaker. why did he buy it, cos his building super told him that that was what his problem was. the real reason, 220v ac line ran in conduit. wire was chaffed or damaged in the pipe, then there was a minor flood, and the federal pacific breaker must have put up one hell of a fight.eventually the wire did what the breaker was sposed to do.as a joke i asked the guy if he noticed any heat in the floor area around the ac unit. he actually replied that his wife had placed her clothes dryer horse there in that particular corner for years. i had to leave the appartment for a few minits........!

Link Copied to Clipboard