ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
L
lbartel Offline OP
I was trouble-shooting a bad 3-way switch. Removing the switch plates from both boxes revealed large holes broken out of the ends of the box where this particular light circuit entered and exited the boxes. Both are 3 gang boxes. This is presumably by the same electrician that didn't tighten the ground wire on the outlets switches. Why would he/she/it do that? All the other wires were done properly (as far as I can tell without cutting into the wall cavity).

S
Sounds like someone added a couple wires in the switch box after the house was built and had to fish the wires up in the wall?????

L
lbartel Offline OP
I doubt it. They would have had to remove a two gang box and replace it with a 3 gang box. So why bash a hole in the side? The wires for the other two switches are OK on the inside of the box. Perhaps he had trouble pulling the wire and needed to vent some anger. Both boxes are 3 gang boxes. Both have been "customized".

Link Copied to Clipboard