ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 137 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#15356 10/14/02 04:27 PM
M
mamills Offline OP
Hi All;
I hope this question doesn't come across like some of the DIY's which have appeared in the past...here goes:
In our community theater here, we have a small sump pump installed to discharge ground water seepage which accumulates in a small sump next to the orchestra pit (the lowest place in the building, about 6 feet below outside grade level). I am planning to install a new dedicated GFCI circuit just for the pump. Presently, it is connected to an ordinary lighting/receptacle circuit with other "stuff" backstage. The question; cost not withstanding, do you prefer a receptacle-type GFCI or a circuit breaker type (in this case, a SqD QO type). At face value, it seems like the circuit breaker type would be better or more reliable. Any thoughts from the pro's?

Mike (mamills)

#15357 10/14/02 05:09 PM
E
I will answer your question with a question. Why are you using a gfci for this application. You are setting yourself up for potential problems. If this motor causes nuisance tripping on the gfci you might have a flooding situation on your hands.

#15358 10/14/02 05:34 PM
M
mamills Offline OP
My reasoning for the GFCI relates to the location of the sump. It is in an area backstage, but right next to the orchestra pit. The discharge pipe out of the pump is about 1 1/4" steel. It comes out of the sump hole through a steel cover plate, then turns 90 degrees and is coupled to a PVC pipe which leads out of the building. During certain times of high humidity, this backstage floor area sweats. I was concerned about people standing on this floor and making contact with the discharge pipe or the cover plate. We have not had any problems yet (other than people accidentally turning off the pump along with a couple of other lighting circuits which terminate in the breaker panel.

Would I be better off simply re-plumbing the pump with PVC pipe throughout, since the pump does have an EGC?

Mike (mamills)

#15359 10/14/02 05:35 PM
T
I would install a single receptale for the sump pump,not gfci protected.

Donnie
#15360 10/15/02 06:57 AM
S
to GFI or not to GFI, that is the question?
(shakespearian chortle...) [Linked Image]

well, we're not required by code, yet some people up my way with the stone foundation/ wading pool option do make me nervous
[Linked Image], so yes , i have put sumps on <gasp>GFI's.

But i will include something else, like the cellar lights on the circuit, in lieu of fancy alarms/indicators etc....

after all..the show must go on... [Linked Image]

#15361 10/15/02 09:16 AM
M
mamills Offline OP
Sparky:
Also, if the pump fails, it would be a good place for an orchestra to perform Handel's "Water Music" [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)

BTW...actually, the building doesn't leak QUITE that much... [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard