ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#14693 09/29/02 07:06 PM
M
moe707 Offline OP
At the shop, we pulled wires from a busway box that is protected with 60 Amp. fuses to wire a single phase 220v machine. The wires were pulled to a 60 Amp disconnect switch box. We also pulled wires to a second circuit breaker panel of the load side (not fuse side) of the machines disconnect box. The second panel will serve the lights, receptacles. The common and the ground of the second panel are run separate to the machine disconnect box. Is this ok?

While wiring a baseboard heater that will be protected by a 30 Amp. breaker in the second box (above) my helper and by mistake connected the in and out on the thermostat with the same hot wire and when we turned on to try the heater, it tripped the breaker which is a good sign that the 30 Amp. breaker worked. My problem is this: Why did the two 60 Amp. fuses at the busduct trip? I am kinda concerned.

Thanks for the help and the directions.
Moe

#14694 09/29/02 10:21 PM
E
Generally, fuses operate much faster than circuit breakers due to the inertia of the moving contacts.

I am concerned about your question-
"The common and the ground of the second panel are run separate to the machine disconnect box. Is this ok?"

If you mean that the grounded (neutral) and the equipment grounding conductors are in a different conduit than the hot wires, that is definitely not OK.

Ed

Link Copied to Clipboard