ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, sabrown), 149 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
WARREN1 Offline OP
I have been asked to check out my son's rental house that has something wrong. It seems that when he runs the vacuum cleaner on a certain receptacle, a receptacle on the other wall becomes hot to the hand touch. I have several thoughts on this. It may have aluminum wire on that particular receptacle, or a copper wire may be loose. It is in an older home with an old 60 amp fuse box, you know the kind, with main and range pull outs, and 4 fuses. This circuit was added into the old carport to convert it to a room. So I need a way to find the wiring back in the wall before this place goes up in smoke (or just tell him not to use any of the receptacles downstream). Are there any circuit tracers out there that can find the wiring in the walls?
Thanks for your help.

W
Greenlee makes one for this purpose around $400.00 I think. I have had great success with it. I would start by replacing the receptacle and making sure all the connections are tight.
Wirewiz

Warren,

It sounds like the wires are loose on that 2nd receptacle. I'm not clear on why you need a circuit tracer here. The one I have was over $500. It does trace wires in walls, but it is not as easy to use as one might think. It would be easier to just turn off the breaker (or pull the fuse) to see what else is on that circuit and check all those connections.

Bill

Bill
Yeah, but...

They're nifty, spiffy, cool and tax deductible!

[Linked Image]

Go here for more gadjets!

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 06-10-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
A
Warren, I use a "Fox and Hound" tone generator and probe to trace with. It can only be used on NON-energized circuits. It's one of the handiest doohickies that I own and only cost about $75. It is accurate to find hidden wires in walls and it bails me out when other subs cover me up. Amprobe makes a line voltage version but it cost more. Good luck, sounds like a loose joint to me too!

'66

Thanks for the "plug" [Linked Image]

We've got many more products to add there too!

BTW, if anyone has any interest in seeing the EXTECH line of test equipment in person, it will be at Booth 1207 at next weeks' show at the Javits Center in NY.

Bill

Bill
W
WARREN1 Offline OP
Thanks for the input to all. Yes, I will first check the receptacle for loose wiring, etc, then go from there. But if that is not the problem, then it may be something behind the wall. Thats why I was looking for a circuit tracer of some sorts. I will keep you informed of what I find.
Thanks again.

M
Arseegee:
Ok what is a/an Fox and the Hound circuit tester ? and who makes it?

-Mark-

A

M
Arseegee:

Thanks a bunch for the quick reply, Tripplet that'll work.

-Mark-

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard