ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#9483 04/30/02 08:08 PM
C
C.Urch Offline OP
I was just turned down on a final electrical inspection because the double flood light on the middle floor deck shining on the stairs leading to the ground level was not 3-wayed at ground level! I'm aware that interior stairways must be 3-wayed but where is it in the code book that the same applies to exterior stairs? The outside deck stairs end at the ground level where there is also a ground level entrance with an outside wall light singled poled inside. I could see the inspector turning down for no lights but the flood adequately lights the stairs...but is only single poled.

#9484 04/30/02 08:51 PM
S
210.70(A) is for 'Habitable Rooms', meaning interior, heated , sheltered, yadda,yadda, yadda.....
210.70(A)(2) {the following} is for 'additional locations'. (c) would seem to indicate 3 & 4 ways on the inside......
[Linked Image from darwinawards.com]
(2) Additional Locations.
Additional lighting outlets shall be installed in accordance with (a), (b), and (c).
(a) At least one wall switch-controlled lighting outlet shall be installed in hallways, stairways, attached garages, and detached garages with electric power.
(b) For dwelling units, attached garages, and detached garages with electric power, at least one wall switch–controlled lighting outlet shall be installed to provide illumination on the exterior side of outdoor entrances or exits with grade level access. A vehicle door in a garage shall not be considered as an outdoor entrance or exit.
(c) Where one or more lighting outlet(s) are installed for interior stairways, there shall be a wall switch at each floor level, and landing level that includes an entry way, to control the lighting outlet(s) where the stairway between floor levels has six risers or more.

#9485 04/30/02 10:03 PM
C
Exception to (a), (b) and (c): In hallways, stairways, and at outdoor entrances, remote, central or automatic control of lighting shall be permitted.

I my opinion your installation is ok but I had an inspector turn me down on a project where there were 2 exterior doors on the same wall in the family room with a double flood installed on the wall between them. I installed 1 switch but the inspector said there had to be a switch beside each door. I showed him this exception and he agreed to accept it if there was an automatic control for the flood light. Instead of arguing any more I replaced the switch with one of the Intermatic wall box timers and he was happy. Another option would be to use a motion sensor. Good Luck!

Curt Swartz
#9486 04/30/02 10:10 PM
E
So are you saying he wants a switch at the bottom of an outside stairway? There is nothing in the nec that requires that.

#9487 05/05/02 05:54 PM
G
Yes, please put a switch at the bottom so when I go to rob this person's residence I can turn off the light so they don't see me.

Sheesh.

Screw the NEC and use common sense in circumstances like this.

'Gigs

#9488 05/10/02 08:21 AM
O
Change the swith already installed to a motion sensor. You'll satisfy the tight-ass inspector and eliminate the hassle and expense of adding a 3-way. I am absolutely NOT suggesting that you return after the successful inspection and re install the swithch (wink, wink)

Link Copied to Clipboard