ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#9121 04/18/02 07:58 PM
D
hi
i am learning the trade and i love to learn new things. can someone help me. i was talking to one of my co-workers. he was telling me about how in commercial kitchens, the exhaust canopies power is shut down when the fire system goes off. they have there own panel and the circuit breakers have shunt trips. i hope i do not sound dum, but what are shunt trips? how are these systems wired to the fire system? can anyone help or give me a link to a site about this. thanks guys

dan

#9122 04/18/02 08:53 PM
A
I've installed a couple of siemens shunt trip panels in commercial kitchens and it's a pretty basic control system. The fire handle triggers a relay box on the hood which connects to the kitchen panel shunt leg. The breakers have an extra shunt pole built in and a pigtail simular to that of a GFCI breaker (3ph breaker actually takes up four spaces). This in turn de-energizes the kitchen equipment in line. Last year I had to retro fit a fire shut-down system for an existing kitchen that had to be brought up to fire code after a change of ownership. With no shunt panel, I had to bring the cooking equipment (120/208 3P) conductors to a large J-box and install contactors in line to solve the problem. This was the set up, switch in hood fire suppresion control box breaks control voltage (120v) when fire handle is pulled. Also releases hood extinguishers and triggers building fire alarm via LV switch at same time. Contactors open and de-energize kitchen equipment and cannot be reset until supprsion system is recharged. Hope this helped.

#9123 04/19/02 10:58 PM
D
thanks for the info arseegee. do you know were i can get a wiring diagram or something?

Link Copied to Clipboard