ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 248 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#7547 02/09/02 10:43 AM
Tom Offline OP
I'm looking at a set of plans for a new house. The architect has included a smoke detector in the attached garage. This location is not a code issue. Will exhaust gasses cause false alarms? Are there any areas in the country where smoke detectors are required in garages?

Thanx

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#7548 02/09/02 05:56 PM
C
A heat detector would be necessary in the garage, and not a smoke detector. The heat detector should be interconnected with the smokes, so make sure you get one that is compatible with the brand of smokes that you use (Firex, BRK, etc). Heat detectors are also pricey, about $25. Check your supply store.

Anyway, they arent required here in CT or RI in garages, but they are good to have and I recommend installing them, as well as in attics.
Theyre good add-ons and a good way to make some extra money.

Peter
#7549 02/12/02 04:49 PM
Tom,

I've never seen a smoke detector in a Garage. Maybe a slip of the architect? Let us know if it isn't?

Does anyone install them in Attic spaces?
I believe that we are required to install them in Attic spaces that have a permanent stairs, because it may be later finished into living space. I heard that smoke detectors should not be installed in areas of high temperature though, so there seems to be a conflict there. What does everyone else do with Attic spaces like that?

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 02-12-2002).]

Bill
#7550 02/12/02 04:59 PM
Tom,

What's a 'smole' detector? I think I could use one around the yard during the summer. [Linked Image]

(just saw the title of the thread)

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
#7551 02/12/02 05:09 PM
Tom Offline OP
Bill,

I don't have to wait 'till summer, I just looked out by the garden the other day & I think I've been invaded.

As for the architect on this job, I'm not really dealing with him & he has told the customer that the electrician would probably have some suggestions & that my advice should be followed (no, today is not April 1).

Actually, the architect did a fairly good job of laying out the wiring, very conservative & did a few things a little funny. He hasn't done much housewiring lately since he only calls for GFI protection within 6 feet of the kitchen sink.

I think I'll pass on putting smoke detectors in the garage, looks like a potential false alarm nightmare.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#7552 02/12/02 07:12 PM
C
I have to chime in here...

I strongly suggest putting a heat detector in all garages and attics, interconnected with the regular smoke detectors.

Remember, a heat detector senses heat and not smoke, so false alarms are not an issue. I especially reccomend them if you have a furnace or air handler in the attic.

I know that garages are supposed to be fire resistant but I believe that they should be included in the fire alarm system.

Peter
#7553 02/12/02 07:36 PM
C
Bill-
By the way, the last guy I worked for did install heat detectors in attics and garages.
It just requires a little bit of salesmanship. Which is not too difficult unless the homeowner is on a tight budget. Most people are more than willing to add a few more safety devices.

At the very least I reccommend bringing the 14/3 into a marked j-box for future upgrades.

Peter
#7554 02/12/02 10:16 PM
E
When using smoke detectors (ionization), better pay attention to the ambient temperature of the garage during the winter. Here in Oregon, our state's Electrical Specialty Code (just the usual Codes, plus state amendments and addendums) stipulates that "Required smoke alarms shall not be located within..garages, or other spaces where tmeperatures can fall below 40 degrees F."

#7555 02/13/02 12:01 AM
CT,

I was talking about Smoke Detectors, not Heat Detectors.

Elzappr,

We have similar requirements here. Here's some 'snipits' from information that was given out to us recently by inspectors. I am assuming that it is describing the requirements of our state (NY) building code and recommendations as it applies to smoke detectors.

Required Locations:

(list here, with BRs etc.) then ... "Detectors on every level including unfinished basements and in attics with fixed stairwells"

then under "Installation Requirements";
Avoid dead air spaces or environment problems that may inhibit detector performance.

"Watch for areas of unusual temperatures. (Such as outside wall of mobile homes.) Recommended Temp. range 32 to 100 degrees Farenheit."
- This recommendation seems to contradict the requirement for a smoke detector in the Attic ??

also:
"Not in garages or close to cooking appliances"
and
"Where relative humidity is above 93%"

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 02-12-2002).]

Bill
#7556 02/13/02 01:17 PM
C
Bill-
I apologize if I misunderstood your question. I have not heard of smoke detectors being used in garages and attics either. What I meant was that we used heat detectors in lieu of smoke detectors.

My reccomendation to use a heat detector was based on manuafacturers instructions that reccomend using them where an ionization type detector would not be appropriate (such as a garage and attic).

I certainly cant speak for different jusrisdiction's requirements since they vary from state to state. However, the requirement you mentioned from your state code does seem contradictory. But, I stand firm in my belief that a heat detector would satisfy code requirements.

Again, I apologize for the confusion on my part, as there seems to be some surrounding this issue. Of course, the AHJ would be the final say on this matter.

[This message has been edited by CTwireman (edited 02-13-2002).]

Peter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard