ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#6129 12/23/01 08:45 PM
C
ccmann Offline OP
Is wrighting on a diconnect with a permanent marker a legal way to identify the disconnect.

#6130 12/23/01 10:19 PM
A
ccmann,

That's what the inspectors think out my way (Sacramento, California). That's the only thing they'll accept for labelling breaker spaces in panels. I can't argue, just about any stick-on label will eventually fall off.

I carry a bottle of some stuff called "contractors cleaner", a citrus-based solvent. A little on a rag will take off the remnants of a paper label if you're re-labelling a breaker space, or will remove the magic marker if you goofed and have to change a label.

Cliff

#6131 12/24/01 12:07 AM
A
2002 has addressed this, in Article 110.22, but left it unclear of what is considered sufficient durability, Basicaly left judgement up to the (AHJ). I presonally carry a label maker that in my opinion looks more perfessional, than a marker. I have seen marker indentification look perfessional, than I have seen them also look like caveman art. Some guys even use the old press lettering (one click at a time) device. Works OK. The ones now I'm seeing that I like is printed labels with a clear sticky back envelope stuck to the disconnect, and you can make them from your own PC. Then change them latter if need be.

[This message has been edited by aphares (edited 12-23-2001).]

#6132 12/24/01 08:24 AM
Outdoors, many inspectors in this area (SoCA) won't accept felt pen as a permanent marking. It virtually disappears after some weathering.
Instead, they'll accept the use of the "paint pen", which applies enamel, and is just as easy to use as the felt pen.
Many labels won't withstand the test of time either, the adhesive loses its grip, and they fall off. The newer style of labelmaker is better for this, but the ink doesn't stand up to UV very well; it fades fairly quickly.

Link Copied to Clipboard