ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 261 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
H
LOW VOLTAGE LIGHTING PLAGUES ME AGAIN.
WHAT ARE THE 96 & 99 CODE ACTUAL REQUIREMENTS FOR LOCATION AND METHOD OF WIRING LOW VOLTAGE 10 / 20W UNDERCAB PUCK LIGHTS.
ROMEX TERMINATED UNDER THE CAB. WIRED TO A CLASS 2 L.V.60W ELECTRONIC TRANSFORMER. 3 X 10W -12V PUCKS ARE WIRED TO THE T/F ALL LOCATED UNDER THE KITCHEN CAB.
A DECORATIVE FALSE BOTTOM THEN COVERS ALL THE WIRING FOR OBVIOUS REASONS OF AESTHETICS.
INSPECTOR SAY THIS DOES NOT COMPLY WITH CODE.
SAME INSPECTION DEPARTMENT THAT WILL NOT ACCEPT REMOTE LV T/F BEING WIRED WHERE THE SECONDARY / LV CIRCUIT WIRES SHARE THE SAME CAVITY OR WALL SPACE?
WHERE DO I GO FOR A CLEAR PICTURE OF DO'S & DON'T ON LV WIRING OF RESIDENTIAL INTERIOR LIGHTING? SORRY TO BE A PAIN!

S
Hi Hawaiianfan;
I am up in art 725, starting with 725.21(a) (2002). I believe that's a good place for this thread to start, especially if your inspector is not quoting a particular code violated. [Linked Image]

Also, what, if any, do the installation instructions include for wiring methods?

hopefully others will chime in..

hint, hint... [Linked Image]

R
sparky,
Is there a 99 reference.

hawaiian,
What type of cable are you using on the secondary? are you passing through the building structure? could you install a receptacle and plug-in xfmr?

R
While we're on the subject...
I noticed spools of t-stat wire in the bins below the LV cabinet lighting section at the local SuperStore. Is this acceptable as LV extension wiring between cabinet lights?

J
The lights I have used from Seagull use a 10 ga. wire that looks like zip cord for the secondary. I run this exposed under the cabinets. The only places it is covered is when it passes thru the cabinet sides. I normally mount the xfmr above the cabinets.

I would like to see a Code reference to justify his violation of your method.

H
Aloha ,
I am a supplier of Fans & Lighting and specify residential lighting.
This LV wiring seems to plague me only on the island of Kauai. I have specified many Jobs here on Maui and have never encountered problems like I do on Kauai.
Kauai is on 96 code. Maui has been on 99 code for only a year so we are somewhat in the "Dark" ages!
My question is: Can a heavy duty 500w / 300w Magnetic or Electronic Low Voltage transformer be installed in an attic for servicing reasons and size?
If the feed line is the same as the output line 12/2 in and 12/2 out-CAN IT BE RUN ALONG THE SAME STUD WITHIN A DRY WALL CAVITY?
Thanks for all you help and sorry to be a Dunce!

Link Copied to Clipboard