ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#1874 06/04/01 09:04 PM
R
Redsy Offline OP
An older home with metal boxes that don't have threaded grounding holes has both top & bottom cable clamps utilized. The grounds are twisted together, cut very short and are not connected to the box. I may be able to use crimp sleeves to install a ground pigtail. If I connect the pigtail to a self-grounding receptacle, will the grounded receptacle effectively ground the box, or does the concept of self-grounding receptacles only work the reverse way
(grounded boxes don't require pigtail)?

S
Redsy;
so your Q would be does the recp carry a ground to the box, as it would normally carry a ground from box to rec.

either way it goes thru the 6-32's , this may be pertinent to how it's worded...

i wish they were truley self grounding for those K&T jobs, but i guess that would be like wishin' for a self cleaning chicken
[Linked Image]

In an application where there's no threaded hole for the ground screw or it's impractical to use the hole, I use ground clips.(Don't particularly like them, tho) I don't have the book here, but I think the ground to the box can't be dependent on the device. (said w/ my Crawfish net in hand and ready for action)

Redsy,

That is a good question!

Would the self-grounding receptacle itself qualify as a "listed grounding device" as in 250-148(a)? I'm thinking that it would not because that is not it's sole purpose.

I think that Electures' grounding clips would be the best way out. (I don't like them either)

Bill

Bill
S
i think you guys nailed it with 250-148 & the clips, good job!

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard