ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 373 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#1587 05/16/01 11:34 PM
B
bhester Offline OP
Hello, new to the board and wanting to get an opinion on what I seen today.On a residential house in the crawlspace the electrician used a cylinder block as a raceway,used carflex at the top of the block,busted out 1/2" for the carflex to slide into hole,the length of the carflex was only 12" in length,just enough to hide inside of block and the 12/2 wg was ran inside the block to a plastic pop-in box that was cut in the block ,to look as if the block was sheetrock.I seem to remember this in the NEC but can't locate at the present time.What do you guys think? I love this site it has unlimited information!

bhester,

Welcome Aboard!!

Look at 336-4(a)for uses permitted for NM cable.
... It shall be permissible to install or fish NM cable in air voids in masonry block or tile walls where such walls are not exposed or subject to excessive moisture or dampness

Is this a place subject to dampness?
Any opinions?

Bill

Bill
Sounds like a ? for the AHJ. The "excessive" wording in that section seems like it could mean most anything...from above 1% humidity to total immersion! Got to hand it to the guy, though, I'll bet it was a real chore to put in that cut-in box. Thanks for joining us!!

Link Copied to Clipboard