ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#154 12/11/00 08:03 PM
J
i dont know where else to ask this...i have a touch lamp that requires a type b bulb. it is just a lamp from walmart. i tried a regular bulb it only stayed on all the time...had to unplug it to make it go off. went to wal mart and looked on the box of the lamp i have and it said "requires a type b bulb..included"...so what is it and where can i find it??? thanks

#155 12/12/00 03:10 PM
B
You apparently have a medium base in this lamp. A type B lamp will be one with a maximum of 25 watts. This will be a B-13, the 13 is the diameter of the glass envelope in 1/8 inch increments. Try a 25 watt, and report back, I need to verify my memory.

#156 12/13/00 03:03 AM
I have looked several times on the net for Photos and Information on Bulb types and have not yet found this information. If, and when I do locate something I will add it to the regular pages on the site here.

Bill
#157 12/13/00 04:45 PM
J
thanks guys....i will try the 25 watt and report back to ya...may take a couple of days, but be on the lookout for the answer

#158 12/13/00 07:02 PM
B
I was assuming that your reference to a "regular bulb", as being an A-19, which has a medium base. There is also a candelebra base that is a B-10, and be as high as 60 watts. There should be a maximum watt rating somewhere on this lamp. Most touch lamps use the candelebra base lampholder.

#159 12/14/00 06:10 PM
J
bennie...i went to wal mart today and got a 25 watt...candelebra style, the kind that looks like a flame with the pointy top, it still will not go off or change intensity of the light...i have to unplug it to make it go off!!!! i dont know what you mean by A-10 and such,,,cause im "just a girl".....or at least a girl with no knowledge of electrical sense....so i dont know what to do now, anymore suggestions....if not i guess i will go back to store and get the manufacturers name and contact info and go from there....this is a inexpensive lamp,,i cant believe im having all this problems

#160 12/14/00 06:37 PM
B
Take it back and exchange it for another one. Have them lamp it, and test it for operation. If this does not work, try another store. There is some touch lamps that work properly, with standard candlelebra type bulbs. Good Luck; Bennie

#161 01/12/01 03:58 PM
S
A "type B" bulb has the same size base as a "standard" light bulb, but is of a reduced overall size. Fixtures using "type B" bulbs are typically listed for use with bulbs of 60W or less; there should be a sticker on the fixture. There is nothing else special about a "type B" bulb. The problem described is caused by the lampholder- perhaps it will work 'properly' if the bulb is not screwed in quite so tight. I reccomend replacing the fixture.

#162 01/13/01 05:25 PM
D
doc Offline
To get a drawing for different lamps call DALLAS LIGHT BULB in Dallas Texas ask for john he is the greatest at answering lamp problems and furnishing lamps and drawings .He has found me some of the most odd ball lamp basses from china ,japan,europe and all over the world
JIST A GIRL give him a call he can help

MAY THE SUN SHINE ON YOUR FACE IN THE MORNING AND YOU AWAKE WITH A SMILE
#163 01/31/01 06:16 PM
Broom Pusher and
Justagirl,

Sorry for jumping in so late, but after re-reading your messages I wanted to add a comment.

It seems that the trouble you are having with the touch lamp fixture is that it will not dim or turn off when it's touched [the metal frame of the fixture], and obviously this is why you wanted a touch lamp in the first place! [Linked Image]

The problem is not with the Incandescent Lamp [the bulb], but with the fixture it's self. The touch sensitive controlling circuit is not sensing your touch, which is why you need to unplug the fixture in order to turn it off. Does it go on with a touch, but not off?? If this is the case, return it for a new one, as the control circuit needs to be messed with. If it comes on when it's plugged in without being turned on with a touch to the frame, and stays on even when touched again, this would be something simple to fix [possibly].

If you can return the fixture for an exchange, do that - see if you can test the new one before leaving the store.

If it's too late to return it for exchange, you can have it checked out, or if you are handy with appliances, check it your self. It seems that the touch sensor wire from the circuit board has come loose. It will most likely be inside the lamp base. Look for a wire coming off the circuit board that is supposed to be soldered or somehow connected to the metal frame of the fixture. Reattach it and the thing should work properly.

Be sure to unplug the fixture before doing these things [Linked Image]

Good luck.

Scott "S.E.T."

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard