ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#216816 02/20/16 04:43 PM
c300g Offline OP
Hi Everyone. New guy here.
I have some vintage light switches that I'd like to find some info on, mainly how old they are.

The first 2 photos are push button switches made by Diamond "H". These are by far the nicest light switch I have ever seen. The quality of the spring action, detail in the buttons and the patina on the plate is spectacular.
The plates themselves are solid cast brass, not pressed. Several non electrical components are solid brass as well. On the side, there is evidence of a pad printed stamp. Using all 5 of the switches I have, I believe it says:
Single Pole
Cat. No
Pat'd Mar. ? 18?? (possibly 86 or 88)
This lot of switches came from an antique store so I do not know their origin. However. Last year, I bought a collection of push button switches also made by Diamond "H" and these I do know their origin. They came from a house built in 1917. These switches are obviously newer. all the brass parts except internal components are painted steel and the spring action doesn't have the same quality. The patent date stamped on the side is also much later, March 13th, 1910. I figure the switches in the photo would date from 1886-1910 but perhaps someone on here can confirm.

3rd photo is another push button switch. This one came from the same antique store as the previous switches shown but I do not believe it came from the same house. Its made by Perkins electric. When I got it, it was covered in many layers of paint and when I stripped the paint off the buttons, the bakelite became very rough so I wet sanded and polished it. The end result looks beautiful but i lost the "Perkins Electric" insignia that was in the centre of the lower button.

Final 2 photos are surface mounts made by H&H (Hart & Hegeman). Both came from different locations. One a scrap yard, the other I removed myself from the upstairs of a historic building. The switch had mismatched robertson screws and the paint under the switch was the layer below the current coat. I do believe it had been relocated at some point.

Hopefully someone on here can help me date these relics. I have plenty more switches, outlets & wall plates that I'd like to learn more about but I'll save those for another day. These are the ones that have stumped me the most.
Thanks.
Brian

[Linked Image from i941.photobucket.com]

S
Welcome to ECN Brian

I have no idea how to date your items, but i had the thought that perhaps the folks who sell the replicas could help you

http://www.kyleswitchplates.com/push-button-switches-plates/

~S~

c300g Offline OP
Thanks Sparky.
I've contacted the manufacture, Classic Accents directly. They know no more then I do.

Link Copied to Clipboard