ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 293 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
My wife and I are in route to Disney World and I happen to noticed a cell tower on a HV transmission tower. What happen to higher on the pole, the higher the voltage? Or is it Tesla wireless power? ..... Just carious. I don't get out much....

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
W
Do you mean cell antennas on a Utility tower? Not Quite understanding the question or getting the picture.

W
I've seen cell antennas mounted on high tension metal towers in various places in NJ. I know someone in the cell phone industry, he mentioned that they have to have the POCO turn off the power on the tower if they ever want to do something up at the antennas. For obvious reasons, you don't want to touch a quarter million volt wire...

Seems there isn't much if any radio frequency interference from the lines up on cell phone frequencies (700MHz and higher).

S
Originally Posted by wewire2
Do you mean cell antennas on a Utility tower? Not Quite understanding the question or getting the picture.
That's correct. Cell phone towers, on top of HV transmission towers. Hopefully, I'll get a pic of it later next week. The rule of thumb I was taught, the higher the wire is on the pole, the higher the voltage. Am I wrong?

Shutting down a line to work on is the only safe thing to do however, that's quite the investment in HV transmission towers, lines, just to not needing to run 24/7. Just seems odd and not safe

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
M
Access to the cell part of the tower is probably done at the same time the transmission line is down for utility scheduled maintenance like working on insulators or other parts.

G
That would be convenient. I hope they both break at the same time.

Greg Fretwell
M
I would guess that most problems with a cell site are in the electronics shack on the ground and not up in the tower.

This guess is based on that I have never seen anybody up on the tower at the end of my street since construction, but I see a marked provider truck in the compound and the shack door open at least once a month.

Finally had the chance to take the pic and post it.

Look all the way at the top

[Linked Image]

John

Link Copied to Clipboard