ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#210930 08/25/13 08:34 PM
Cat Servant
Folks here know I rarely hold back when I offer an opinion. Didn't I coin the term CUSS-tomer?

We've heard it all, dealt with all manner of fools who love our work, but don't want to pay for it. Of course, WE would never stoop to those silly games. One of my personal favorites is the customer who, at job's end, suddenly discovers they're out of checks.

Well ... yesterday (Saturday) I had a contractor over. They came on time, worked 12 hours straight, and pretty much did things as I wanted. I'd give them a score of 85 out of 100.

Taking the foreman to my office, I pulled out my checkbook and ..... and .... Oh-oh! No more checks. Heck, I didn't believe it myself when I used that lame excuse.

I was able to pay using another account, and Monday I get to untangle the mess I made. I think I'll order more checks too. laugh

Last edited by renosteinke; 08/25/13 08:35 PM.
S
It happens. I have a video that really brings the customer/contractor relationship home. Ill see if I can find that on youtube

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
G
I find nobody turns down cash wink

Greg Fretwell
Check?, Debit Card?, Money Order?, Credit Card?,...Cash?

Any form of payment is accepted and expected.

John
S
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I find nobody turns down cash wink
actually, I know of two businesses that don't take cash. One of them is I major electrical supplier

It's not against the law to accept cash and in this day and age. It's costs so much to handle cash that I am not surprise more businesses have adopted a cashless policy

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Cat Servant
Let's see ... 5 guys, 12 hours ... that requires more cash than I'd want to carry around, or want to pay out without having a paper trail. Heck, the dump fee alone was likely more than I'm likely to have in cash on hand,

Credit / debit card? Darn few contractors have the ability to take them. At their scale of business, card processing fees are absurd.

Money order? Apart from the cost, we're up against the $500 limit to them, and the need to get them ahead of time.

Payment in kind? Sorry, I'm fresh out of goats and chickens laugh.

Nope. I simply dropped the ball. It's pretty rare for me to use a check these days, and I got caught unprepared.

Have to admit it is kind of funny, in hindsight!

Reno:
FWIW, a lot of contractors in NJ accept plastic. Some have the 'old fashioned' card inprinters with the paper tickets, some have electronic swipe devices.

The limo I took to & from the airport last week had the inprinter for the fees and the tip.

My office just recently started accepting credit cards for permit fee payments, and we still do not accept cash at the counter. Checks, money orders & now credit cards.

Personally, I write very few paper checks with electronic bill pay. Also, direct deposit has kept me out of the banks for quite some time.

John
G
I paid all cash to the guys who dug, shot and plastered my pool. $12,000 or so.
There is a lot of cash in the concrete business.

Greg Fretwell
N
will take cash any time. No high credit card processing fees, no check bounce.

ed
G
Many UK businesses won't accept personal cheques(checks) any more and the banks keep talking of phasing them out. Card, online payment, or cash are OK, though cash does sometimes get associated with trying to cheat the taxman.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard