ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#210049 05/23/13 08:34 PM
S
Anybody know just a simple meter that will test motor capacitors. I already have at least 2 meters, but neither one will check micro fareds? thanks

G
I have a clamp like the HVAC guys use that does capacitors.
UEI DL250
You can also get a temperature probe for it

[Linked Image from tequipment.net]

Greg Fretwell
K
I have the older version of the cheapo Supco capacitor tester that I've used quite a bit over the years. I think it's probably the only piece of Supco test equipment that I would even consider owning. I used to use it often to test and verify new caps when I got a delivery, since some of the new junk caps that were made in Mexico and China were either flat dead or way off spec right out of the box. Once I switched to McMaster for my caps though, I didn't have any more problems like that since the ones I get from them are good quality and made in the USA.

Supco Cap Tester

S
KJay, thanks for the post. I went to the site you posted and seen the tester you was talking about. Although I didn't get that one, I seen another one that was cheaper and had all good reviews on it, so I decided to get that one. It is a "Newcason" testing from 20MF to 200pf. It had 9 reviews from HVAC persons. I started to get another cheap one, but this one looked better. I got it for $ 20.99. from Amazon. Hope it works right. Got interested in one when my son's a/c went out, and had a HVAC friend come by and check it. The capacitor was bad. I may not be able to go very far in the HVAC trade, but at least I maybe able to change a capacitor out if needed.

Last edited by sparkync; 05/24/13 04:11 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard