ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
N
NORCAL Offline OP

Here is the tale of a remodeling gone wrong in the State of Loony Land (Oregon) when a worker decided to build a fire in a carport.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/When...oyed-by-fire-falling-tree-206456141.html

Loony Land = Where the folks too crazy for California go. laugh

Hopefully, they had liability insurance!

I guess they sell 'stupidity pills' in Oregon, besides here in NJ.

John
T
Reminds me of the Germans who recently had a BBQ on the wooden upstairs porch, burning down the house (embers were blown inside and ignited the curtains).

Or then the ingenious Austrian DIYer who almost killed himself and everybody else in the house when they dragged the BBQ into the living room overnight to make the paint dry faster (CO poisoning, but thankfully no fatalities).

Cat Servant
Norcal, that tale is just too funny; it sounds like something out of an old silent movie.

Let's look at it through more jaded eyes:

These days, the GC would be cited for burning without a permit. The EPA would claim he released lead (paint) into the air.

The GC would meet the owner and, with a straight face, inform him that additional demolition was unavoidable- and present a bill.

The guy who burned the place down would enjoy a year or two of leisurely unemployment, then claim he had lost his job to the 'bad economy,' or that he was late too often because of car trouble, or some such.

A realtor would take a picture of the place from an angle that concealed any hint of fire - I've seen this happen three times in a town of 15,000 - then place it on the market at a price slightly HIGHER than the perfectly good house across the street. (Remember those warnings about buying sight unseen?)

The half-burned hulk will sit there for a decade, and become a stopover for druggies and petty criminals. Eventually, the city will clean it up and we'll be stuck with the bill.

With the lot now in the city's hands, every sort of do-gooder group will ask for tax dollars to do wondrous things to 'reclaim' the declining neighborhood. Heck, give me a free lot and a $3 Million grant, and I can do wondrous things- starting with a winter 'planning conference' in the South of France!

Link Copied to Clipboard