ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#185974 04/08/09 10:27 PM
L
leland Offline OP
Hi All!

Got a simple problem and a simple fix.

1 conductor is broken between the JB and the pump.
This conduit 'LBs' out of the building to an EY fitting,then to the pump Manhole. There is an inline fitting,similar to an 'EY' there (just before entering the JB for the pump). Not a problem.

What is the best way to get all the packing and sealant out of these fittings? And re-loading the 'inline' fitting? So as to facilitate a quick easy pull.

This is on the load side of all controls,Pump feed only.

Thanx, Lee

Cat Servant
You need to .... cry laugh

You use a drift pin (long skinny punch or rod) and a hammer to break up the sealant. Sweep / vacuum / blow the bits out, replace all the wires, and replace all the seal materials.

If circumstances permit, you can cut the pipe, instal rated unions, and just replace the seals. complete.

One nice, "un-listed" use for the EY fittings is as a place to add wire lube for your pull.

L
There is no easy way. If the sealant was installed properly there is a real good chance you will damage the conductors in the conduit as you chip out the sealant. I would first try to chip it out and see how much a PITA that is. If that proves to be a pain I would look into listed,approved unions and a new fitting and just cut the conduit pull out the conductors, fix the conduit ,pull in new conductors, and reseal.

G
Gee I was waiting to hear a trick wink

Greg Fretwell
L
leland Offline OP
HOLLY CRAP!!!!

If it's that much trouble why don't we require multiple conduits to each location?

So I assume it aint a 'shut down the pumps for 3 hours' deal?

HOLLY CRAP (oops I stated that already)

I got a 'JB' in the building,then an 'LB' down,'EY'. The inline wich-a-ma-callit- and the pump 'JB'.
Maybe 30' Tops!!

A great friends brother (I may add I have not paid for auto repair in 10 yrs).

HOLLY CRAP!!!

There has to be another option than re-pipping,and a total upgrade. This ,I'm sure, is not the first conductor to fail in a filling station.

It is 3/4 conduit with 2-220V ckts. not a problem to pull in ALL new conductors. But why should it become a 'Project'?

G
Do you have the tools to thread pipe? If you can get in there you could cut it off and rethread the pipe I suppose. Easier than eating up the driveway to run new pipe.
If you were lucky there would be a coupling below the sealoff.

Greg Fretwell
L
leland Offline OP
I will have them on hand (threaders).
Another thought,to avoid down time. How about if I temp out the pumps with NM? The round box at the pumphead,this way the pumps can still operate.

Only catch,the conduit IS the ground.

Think I'm looking at a regular shut down.
Thanx Guys. Sorry for the 'bone head' dilemma.

G
You can do that if you can find NM that's rated for use in a Hazardous environment.

Besides, temporary fixes tend to never get done right. As soon as things are jerry-rigged to run, the urgency to getting the thing fixed correctly just sort of goes away. Just look at some of the 'temporary' horror stories on this board.

Those sealing fittings were not designed to have the stuff chipped out of them, so it's a royal PITA to do that.
I think you're stuck replacing the fitting unless you want to spend a lot of grunt work chipping and vacuuming.

Ghost307
E
Maybe you'll get lucky and whoever sealed them first packed the pipe with DuxSeal to keep the compound from running too far into the pipe. I see that around here all the time and it sure makes it easier to break it out.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
Cat Servant
Just in case you haven't dealt with this stuff before, here are the main ways Mr.Murphy can complicate things:

1) First, it's not unheard of fo the seals to have never been sealed. Oops! In that case, thank heaven, and simply pull out the bad wires. Then pack the seals properly.

2) Often the fiber dam fails, resulting in the mortar-like sealant running down into the pipe, and setting up in some low spot. Shovel time! You get to dig up the pipe, usually to the first sweep.

3) Other times the rigid pipe will corrode, with flakes of rust or collapsed pipe making a new pull impossible. A related problerm - which might be the cause of your bad wire - is when compacting and paving operations break (or crush) the pipe.

4) Often, there is not enough room between pipes for you to cut or thread the old pipe in place. Again, in that case, you're best served by digging down to the sweep, and working down there.

When you do finally getyour new wires in, do yourself a favor, and pull in a few extras; this will -maybe- save the day in the event another wire goes bad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard