ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#182945 12/19/08 04:12 PM
S
My work has almost stopped here. I've had to apply for a regular job several places, still no "takers". I have 37 1/2 years total electrical experience, a NC license and the highest paying job available so far is around $12/hr. besides one that I had to pass up for $16/hr. because I had already obligated myself to a customer of my own. I seen one site that was willing to pay a commercial plummer $26/hr and only required 1 year experience!! What's going on here I wonder? It seems electricians are on the low end of the totem pole when it comes to wages, and our trade seems to be the most hazardous, requires more itemized material, and in my opinion is the most stressful and has the most liability. Maybe it's just my area, but I know friends that are in the furniture business etc. that makes $12 to $14/hr. I'm thinking about going into a totally different field, like working in a warehouse loading trucks crazy
Thanks for listening.... Steve

Last edited by sparkync; 12/19/08 04:13 PM.
Steve:
Here in NJ I 'hear' from EC's the following:

Resi.....very slow. Guys that were very busy (30+ men) are down to <6. Others are 'slow' to 'hanging in there'

Myself, I'm an AHJ; put the tools away mid '07.

Twp I work in is 'steady'. We have a real good mix of retail, ind., comm, & resi. Hopefully it will stay 'steady' in the upcoming year.

Good luck to you whichever way you go. Have a safe and healthy holiday.

John
sbi Offline
things are slow her in Indiana also. A few years back I had to take a job in maintenance just to makeit.
I worked there for 2 years has a mechanic than an opening came open for a sparky than I moved to it. Only to be laidoff in October.
as for the trade being kinda screwy compared to others I agree. Their are alot of people that think electricians job is easy. But we all know it is not. to be a plumber all you have to know is that "crap runs down hill and pay day is friday"
good luck and keep your head up.

when in doubt jump it out
I happily work for slumlords
L
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/182949/Cheap_labor#Post182949

You summed it up nicely here.

Untill we ALL take our job seriously, and except that we are well trained educated PROFESSIONALS!!!!!
It will never change.
RE: plumbers: Call 5 of them, they will be with in dollars of each other.
Call an electrician, Call enough and you'll find one who will pay you for him to do the work.

You don't see Lawyers,Doctors or accountants cutting prices do you?

We brought this on ourselfs!!!! Same with the Data and cable guys doing our work!!!
You worked hard for your license!!!!
Get compencated for your Knowledge (skills)!!!!!!!!!!!

(you = us collectively)

L
Here it is a mix of things. Residential appears to be slow all around.Commercial varies greatly, depending where you are and what you do. I put my tools down and jumped to an AHJ position earlier this year. The county I work in has slowed but we still are steady. The 3 full time commercial electric plan reviewers are swamped and we have some contractors willing to pay for plan review overtime pay to get the plans done.
As far as electricians pay - Leland expressed it correctly.
Electricians are driving THEIR own rates down. If everyone would stop cutting each others throat just to get the job things would improve. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Last edited by luckyshadow; 12/19/08 08:33 PM.
Gentlemen:

Please take into account the regional areas, and the regional economic situations of the various posters herein.

The 'cut throat' syndrome appears not to only be a NJ thing, I guess.

The price ranges that I see (estimated cost on permit app's) makes me sit back & think. I know some guys 'low ball 'the est. costs' for fear that the 'tax man' checks.

It's enough of an economic challenge with the recession upon all of us, we also have to deal with "trunk slammers", handymen, and now some of 'us' that are desperate for work.

I've went through slow and really slow times over the years, and YES, we have to do whatever to survive. BUT, 'we' should also think about the long term effects!

As to the operations of Plumbers, most if not all here use a flat rate system. Differences in costs is minimal if any.

As to data/comm/cctv/etc; every chance I get doing CEU courses, or at VoTech...I ask..."WHY don't you install the LV items???" "It's good money, you're there??"

Off the soap box!

John
L
Regional: rates are rates: Why under cut them?
Material? Suppliers here are pretty close to each other. Shop, Of course.
What ever to survive? I understand that. But why should a fellow trades man put you and himself in that spot?

Trunk slammers/handyman... Now that requires drop a dime!!!!
I don't feel a bit guilty about that. I worked for my ticket and I pay a handsome sum for my insurance.
Steal from my family..... We got issues!!!

Licensed and insured, quite different from licensed.

(just getting on the soap box smile )

Last edited by leland; 12/19/08 09:04 PM.
We discussed the trunk slammers/handymen here in various threads. By all means, drop the dime! Here (NJ) it has to be a written formal complaint, along with ID of the trunk slammer. Been there, etc.

Licensed & insured? You need verifiable insurance coverage to obtain & maintain a Business Permit here. Just having a 'License' does not allow anyone to perform electrical work.

What I was trying to point out with regional rates above is that rates mentioned by one poster may appear to be 'out of wack' with another poster in a different state/region.

John
L
Here as well John (insurance). Pull a permit, they need your certificate and a copy (they make it) of your license.

We use a pressure seal on permits for BP; copy of ID card, & State is the Insurance cop.

We recently implemented Home Improvement Contractor Lic., IMHO, that seems to have eliminated 'some' butchers.

John
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard