ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
B
It's not a bad article, but I would add 'receptacle' where outlet is used throughout the paper. (Just to be more accurate)

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
Secretary - IAEI Florida Chapter
G
The only thing I see wrong is they say a circuit is only rated for 80% of the available current (based on the OCD I suppose). That seems to ignore 240.4(D) that builds the 80% into the allowable OCD size. A properly wired circuit should not be a danger at any load within the OCD capacity. The receptacle itself might not be up to the task of carrying all that current in one plug but U/L tells us it will fail safely, containing the fire in the box. If the load was divided across a few plugs I don't see a problem for the building wiring at all.
The real hazard is on the load side of the faceplate. All of those skinny extension cords and counterfeit listing cube taps are generally where the fires start.

Greg Fretwell
B
From the article: "At any given moment, the average American house has 120 volts of electricity flowing though it."

Sorry, but voltage doesn't flow. Current flows.

I also wouldn't say a fuse or circuit breaker "regulates" the current. It limits the current.

Overall, though, not a bad article for that site.

I'll stop looking at it now before I find more nits to pick. wink

B
It's hard to find a really well written article on electricity that is intended for a non-technical audience.

Most people will get the point of the article though:

Don't plug too many things in one receptacle.

We can find errors and ommissions in just about every document ever written on the topic of electricity and the NEC. TV programs are usually even worse.

Just look at all the bad information that has found its way onto these forums over the years...

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
Secretary - IAEI Florida Chapter

Link Copied to Clipboard