ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (ampherder, Scott35), 261 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#173866 01/21/08 04:38 PM
Cat Servant
Folks, I'm finally at the point where I'm considering getting a REAL camera ... a digital SLR. It's a big step from the disposable film cameras I've been using!

So ... I'm open to suggestions, and advice. Apart from makes / models ... anyone have suggestions as to what accessories to get, and where to buy them?

G
A lot depends on what kind of pictures you are going to take. I have a Canon Sureshot A400 that goes for about $100 retail (probably a lot less if you shop). It zooms 5.9 to 13.2 with auto focus, flash and exposure. It is a bit smaller than a cardboard Kodak so it goes in your pocket easily. I am not sure what the max pixels is but I get good "cropable" pictures at medium resolution. It will take a 2g SD card but I shot 2 weeks of vacation pictures on a 256 card.
I know I can buy a nicer camera but this is about all I need and if it fell overboard tomorrow I wouldn't feel like I lost a small fortune.

Greg Fretwell
S
It depends on how "real" you're looking to go. In my humble opinion, the rumored Mark II version of the Canon EOS 5D will be the sweet spot. It may well be announced at PMA this year. The existing EOS 5D is also very nice. The 24-105mm L-Series lens is a good starting lens to match up with it.

In a more affordable price range, the EOS 40D is very nice.

The best of the current SLR offerings is the EOS 1Ds Mark III, at about $8,000. Plus lenses. (That's not counting medium format SLRs. They're expensive.)

Nikon has been out of the running in digital SLRs for several years, but they recently got back in the game with their latest two introductions. Their new full-frame camera has astoundingly-good low-light performance, but considerably less resolution than the Canon offerings.

S
I use a 10 mega pixel with 2MB card. I set it to the highest resolution and use the largest picture size possible. This does make large files that can be downsize as needed. This allow me to zoom in with clearity to read the wire size right off the wiring. It is an Pentex Optio A30. It has stabilazion and takes good night, low lit area. I have used Cannon S40 and S60 in the past. The battery goes low fast when using the flash and the night, low lit pics are not the best of quality unless you have surgeon hands. Otherwise they tend to turn out blurry.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
B
If you are like me you will want it to be small, to fit in your shirt pocket. When it is small, you will take it with you instead of leaving it home or in the car. Then you won't always be saying "damn, I wish I had my camera!"

I got an Olympus FE-230 at Best Buy for a couple hundred. It's smaller than a pack of smokes, and takes great pics.

Get a small case and an extra battery.

Last edited by BigB; 01/21/08 11:47 PM.
B
No particular suggestions but I have found this website to be useful when it comes to cameras.
Good luck!

R
I use a Sony VCR, N 50, DCR-HC -40E camera with memory duo stick 8 MB.

Photo's can be made 150 kB to 1.3 MB range which is more than adequate for 4x6 photo's.

Most photo's i have posted to ECN are done with that camera.

Important factor for any camera is a good lens. That one has a Karl Zeis lens.

Then my wife uses a Panasonic DMC-FZ8, 8 MB camera which takes very good photo's. For the internet they need to be downsized to 200 kB for reasonable speed of transmission.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
S
bigrock... thats an excellent website.

I also use these guys for quality reviews for cameras and pretty much all electronics.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4370-6501_7-111-111.html?tag=dir

S
The only thing I can think of is to make sure the camera has a battery indicator. You would think they would all have them but a relative said their digital camera doesn't. I checked the camera and then looked through the instruction manual and found they were right. Can't remember the make/model though.

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
Noticed an oddity while reading this thread... Pretty sure he asked about a digital SLR, which won't fit in your pocket--unless the term was misused. SLR are the "professional" type cameras with removeable lenses.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard