ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
jft1215 Offline OP
This may be a no-brainer for most but I've come across something new today. This afternoon I got a call from a landscaper in a bind and he needed some help. It looks like the electrician working on his project has hit the road and left him with a mess.

One of the things the old electrician was responsible for was to wire the pump for a four tier waterfall. The guy buried conduit from the house (under the kitchen sink, where he mounted a W/P box) and stubbed up directly in front of the waterfall. He put a W/P box and receptacle n the stub and plugged the pump in. At the house it looks like he tied into the garbage disposal for his feed. On the complete opposite side of the kitchen he tore out the old box for the patio light and cut in a new DG. He wired up some tails and told the homeowner he was going to order a wireless switch that would control the feed at the house so they could turn on the waterfall when they wanted. Since that time he's gone. They can't get a hold of him but that's another sotry.

My question (sorry for the long set-up) is, are there switches that can perform as he's saying. We haven't seen them if they do.

I appreciate any feedback!

G
It sounds like he wants an X10 deal. As long as you are on the same phase, all you need is the appropriatly sized "appliance" module on the far end and a switch/transmitter on the near end. They also sell a coupler that connects the PLC signal across the two phases.

Greg Fretwell
J
jft1215 Offline OP
Thanks for the help Greg! I'm looking on x10 now. Are the switches/transmitters battery operated or wired to an existing circuit?

T
Also look into the following;

1. Lutron RadioRa www.lutron.com/radiora [expensive but reliable]
2. Miro Controls http://www.wattstopper.com/products/details.html?id=117

IMO better than x-10

S
You might also want to look into this :
AdHoc wireless switches

The switch doesn't require any power it uses energy harvesting technology. I haven't tried it for myself yet but it seems pretty promising. IMO I would stay away from the RadioRa for only one switch. It will be very expensive and you have to buy the repeater in order to set it up.

Y
Originally Posted by scameron81
You might also want to look into this :
AdHoc wireless switches

The switch doesn't require any power it uses energy harvesting technology. I haven't tried it for myself yet but it seems pretty promising. IMO I would stay away from the RadioRa for only one switch. It will be very expensive and you have to buy the repeater in order to set it up.

I skimmed through some of the material printed about these devices. Pretty interesting. One problem might be that the receiver(relay) can't be installed in a closed metal box. I guess they'll work in plasic boxes thogh.

Link Copied to Clipboard