ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#161255 04/01/07 12:06 AM
C
Cinner Offline OP
Does anyone know which PLC is the most commanly used in industry? I am wanting to get some training done in PLCs but want training the the most commonly used ones. Someone told me that the AB SLC500 is widely used. Is that true?

J
In the industrial plant I work in, we only use Allen Bradley equipment. We have their SLC500 and Micrologix controllers.

I was told that Allen Bradley is pretty popular in the US, but it may be changing due to their cost and the fact that some industrial lines are made over seas.

A buddy of mine works at an engine plant and they use all foreign stuff. I can't remember exactly, but probably Seimens.

James

the fundamentals will work with any PLC you may encounter, try to learn the I/O basics first, and then proceed from there. some plants I have worked in did have simulators or training kits for their guys
I have seen primarily A-B, on bigger jobs but the Chinese knock-offs seem to get the job done.. for far less $$$.

someone with more to say should come along shortly

Tom
J
JBD Offline
Originally Posted by Cinner
Does anyone know which PLC is the most commanly used in industry? I am wanting to get some training done in PLCs but want training the the most commonly used ones. Someone told me that the AB SLC500 is widely used. Is that true?

There is no single item called a PLC therefore there can be no single answer. This is no different than asking "what is the most common handtool used in industry".

You will get lots of personal opinions and that is all. Without a doubt the most common name in PLCs in the US and Canada(?) is AB, but they make very many different models. They are not the market leader in each model, in each industry, in each country.

PLCs are tools used to automate industrial control systems. In North America the most common method of describing control circuits is by using Ladder Diagrams. You need to make sure that you learn about control circuit logic and not just the command set of a particular manufacturer's programming package. Once you know ladder diagrams and logic systems all you need to do is learn the unique features of each PLC model/brand you work on.

P
I know very little about PLCs but one thing I can suggest is that you contact AutomationDirect.com. The are based in Atlanta and are glad to send you a very nice, big catalog for free even though it costs them $10.
The sell sensons and PLC and stepper motors and such and have price listings and a lot of technical notes. You can't go wrong because it's free. I have no connection with them.
~Peter

Never done a PLC course?.
Heard of Ladder?.
Hmmmmmmmmmm

J
In North America, A-B has about a 30% market share, Siemens and Modicon (Schneider) about 25% each, all others combined, about 20%. Worldwide, Siemens is at about 40%, Omron about 20%, all others split the remaining 40%, with A-B amounting to only about 2%. If you are only going to take time to learn one, since you are in N. America I suggest A-B, but not the SLC500 because that is being phased out now. Learn the Control Logix. If you want to work for an OEM selling worldwide, learn the Siemens Step-7.

JRaef

Link Copied to Clipboard