ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
trollog Offline OP
This is an interesting article on "functional fixedness". I find that working in this trade, almost every day I am challenged to find novel, unique solutions to problems that are at the same time code compliant. This counts double for service work/TI. I think the type of intelligence needed to solve the problem presented in this test is one we use every day as part of our job description. It is telling that in most cases, a minority of people presented with such problems had the IQ and most of all creativity to solve it in a satisfactory manner. Maybe this type of intelligence should be tested for in apprenticeship programs, alongside an aptitude for math and spinning wirenuts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_fixedness

W
An aspect of electrical work that would tend to promote "functional fixedness" would be the concern that the AHJ might fail a job because you used something not "listed" for the purpose you used it for.

T
trollog Offline OP
wow a response! I thought someone tied a lead weight to this post and threw it overboard. Has to count as my least replied to post. Ever.. [Linked Image]

J
Trollog, I got to agree with you. I have found this trade to definately mentally challangeing-Thank God! And there is a satisfaction in solving a tough problem in the field.

Hmm,
"Fixedness"
Is that actually a word?
I have to agree with John though, there is a certain feeling with knowing that you just finished a pre-wire or so forth and it looks great, it is a shame though, that it will be covered up with drywall.
Conduit installs are the same sort of thing,
No-one apart from an Electrician, will ever appreciate the good looks of your conduit run that is all straight and level, the saddles are evenly spaced and the bends are all top-notch.
To other people, it is a bit of pipe that holds (usually they assume it's water) anything.
Look Ryan,
There is a solution to all problems in the Electrical Field.
How people go about it is thier own choice, it does make for some great outcomes though. [Linked Image]

B
Problem solving is one of my favorite parts of the trade, and I feel especially good when combating "functional fixedness"; when finding new uses for old products and materials.

Along these lines, I recall someone (maybe on here?) telling of a technique they would use in job-interviews where they would give candidates a piece of wire and see how well they could bend it into a coat-hanger. It certainly suggest some creativity and mechanical aptitude, even while not quite falling into the catagory of "functional fixedness".

-John

Link Copied to Clipboard