ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 280 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
Rewired Offline OP
Some years ago I saw on some program on the 'tube that its not a bad idea once a year or so to simply flick all the breakers on and off in your panel a few times just to keep " the mechanical parts inside free and in working order"....
It does seem like a good idea, and I do that on occasion, even though I know it probably does not operate every linkage and part inside the breaker...
Has anyone else ever heard of that or practice this little bit of "panel maintenance"???

A.D

E
e57 Offline
Otherwise known as "Breaker/Switch Exercise"

It's a good idea, do I do it, no..... [Linked Image]

It does give you the opprotunity to find that breaker that is fused shut....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
D
It is highly recommended but seldom done. It is called exercising the breaker. It's sort of like the water stops that supply toilets and faucets. How often do you exercise them? Not. They get your attention when you have to shut them off in an emergancy or to do a repair and the knob won't turn aor you break it off.
When you do this it assures that any lubricant used on the moving parts is distributed but more importantly when the contacts are opened and closed they just don't simply close against one another but the actually rub against one another which would provide a cleaning action to reduce contact resistance.
Ah but you have to reset all of those digital clocks when you do.

S
Ah but you have to reset all of those digital clocks when you do.

That's why you pick either April or October of each year as the time to do the breaker exercising, and you exercise the breakers just before you reset all the clocks for going onto/off of daylight savings time. It's also a good time to change the batteries in the smoke alarms.

Link Copied to Clipboard