ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#62671 02/23/06 10:36 PM
B
bot540 Offline OP

Jesus may have been a capenter,but God was an electrician.Genesis1:3
Wonder how much liability insurance this guy's carrying? [Linked Image]

Stupid should be painful.
B
From the first page I clicked on:
Basic Rules of Electricity...Electricity ALWAYS seeks the quickest path back to its source or to the earth.
He should've stopped while he was ahead.
Why Ground?...Proper grounding provides a safe path for electricity to safely move...back into the earth, which happens to be a very good electrical conductor.
I can't even come up with anything sarcastic to say about that one.
Polarized receptacles operate on a 2-wire vs. a 3-wire system. A polarized receptacle visibly differs from a grounded receptacle as they are two, rather than three-pronged.
Huh, and all this time I thought polarization had something to do with one slot being bigger than the other.

The rest of the content seems alright, but it suffers from the same problems as all step-by-step explanations: They only cover very specific scenerios. If the readers installation varies by one or two steps, they can quickly become confused. "Okay, I see where the black wire goes, and I see where the white wire goes, but what about this red wire...?"

-John

OK, $3.99 a minute, or $19.95 for e-mail...hmm $240 per hr.

Looking further, he's located in Canada!

I don't know the legalities as to our friends in Canada 'advising' accross the border on NEC, but with the quantity of lawyers here in NJ, one of them may, if the $$ are inviting.

How to books at the library, or Barnes & Noble are a lot cheaper. Hiring a pro in real life is a much better move.

BTW, he has NO pros listed for NJ, any takers???

John

John
T
bot540, it might be a good idea to edit & remove that link. Some inexperienced homeowner might use the information to put their bare hands in a live panel with a couple of screwdrivers (as instructed) & kill themselves.

Dave

G
This guy may be making all his money by brokering "cost plus" electricians after Harry Homeowner gets things so screwed up he is ready for a hosing.

Greg Fretwell
B
bot540 Offline OP
Homeowners: I do not advise you not to take on any electrical projects by yourself. Regardless of who tells you how easy it is. Call a professional. Getting shocked is not fun, I know from experience and it can also be quite lethal.

Jesus may have been a capenter,but God was an electrician.Genesis1:3
C

BTW, he has NO pros listed for NJ, any takers???

I just signed YOU up.
LMAO

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
From the site:

Have you ever:
  • Struggled with a 3 or 4-way switch?
  • Scratched your head trying to figure out ‘which wire goes where’ when replacing a fixture, changing a receptacle or switch, or hanging a ceiling fan?
  • Puzzled over a tripped breaker?
  • Tried to understand wire colors and wiring configurations?
  • Wanted to tackle wiring that basement, garage or shop, but hesitated taking on a project that large?.

These people are the first people that should be getting an Electrician on site.

Giving advice over the Net is a worry, because you never know what the guy who's asking is really looking at.
We all know how good customer descriptions of problems can be. [Linked Image]

{Message edited for a typo}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 02-24-2006).]

P
Basic Rules of Electricity...Electricity ALWAYS seeks the quickest path back to its source or to the earth.

Why is it that so many people -- even supposed expoerts -- seem to be unable to understand the concepts involved here?

Surely it is isn't that difficult to grasp the idea that (in a grounded system) the earth just happens to be a convenient path back to the source?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard