ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 272 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#21661 02/08/03 06:04 AM
K
kinetic Offline OP
Which scares you more when you hear about them taking on electrical work? I seem to be fixing and replacing alot more handyman work then homeowner projects.

#21662 02/08/03 09:14 AM
E
This tends to be a hot topic but i'll give my 2 cents. I would say handyman simply becuase they are more inclined to feel comfortable about what they are doing. Some homeowners tend to be nervous about electricity and are a little more careful and will ask for the correct way of doing a job. I find handymen types know just enough to be dangerous. In reality stick with a licensed electrician for your electrical work. Not that this is a gurantee for the best possible job!

#21663 02/08/03 10:57 AM
E
The "handy"man, by far scares me more. They keep a roll of 12/2 on the truck and use it for everything. They don't seem to care for romex connectors or staples and an orange wire nut should be good enough for up to 8 wires. 15 amp breaker trips, just replace it with a 20 or 30. [Linked Image] I wish the homeowners would quit letting these guys do electrical work, but they seem more concerned with saving a few dollars than their own personal safety.

#21664 02/08/03 11:57 AM
S
Thru many DIY threads here i sense there is a grey area concerning handymen.
DIYers constitute a growing lifestyle in our economy which is the drive behind the big orange plcae, Bob Vila style shows, etc.
It is a commercialized concept that is here to stay.

'Handymen' are those whom seek to make a living by peddaling a trade they know to varing degrees. Obviously they are solicited by those whom seek the economic difference bettween DIY and a bona-fide tradesperson.

Unfortunatley, the punishment in many locale's justifies the crime, so the saga continues with little to no voice from the trade orginizations as to soliciting the 'qualified' ( note i did not say license) that we as tradespersons support.

This, because it is politically incorrect to confront the HD's, Bob V's and other exponetially growing DIY havens that handymen hide behind.

Cowards, the lot of them!

Sadly,DIYers & Handymen continue to be a completely different animal, yet not viewed as such.

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 02-08-2003).]

#21665 02/08/03 02:45 PM
R
There is a "handyman" in this area. His charge is $35.00 per hour and he does plumbing, HVAC, electrical, carpentry, roofing, etc, and from what I have seen and heard does nothing well. He appeals to the elderly homeowners in the area due to his pricing. He was one of those opposed to a code. That one we will be watching!
Rowdy

#21666 02/08/03 03:55 PM
G
Many homeowners, handymen, and licensed professionals do good work.

Many do poor work.

You will not make a person do good work by simply requiring him to be licensed, insured and inspected.

#21667 02/08/03 04:11 PM
S
Allow me to quote myself here George,
'qualified' ( note i did not say license)

~you either have an NEC and know to use it or don't*
~you are a continuous student of study in this trade or you don't*
~you have an understanding of the hazrds & liabilities, or you don't*

* key wordage....

#21668 02/08/03 11:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
I am working on one now.... needed another circuit from one of two subpanels installed by handyman....found both subpanels with 3 wire feeds from meter (spliced #6 with big blues in a gutted motor d/c up in the attic). Second sub was bonded to washing machine cold water pipe. What would you do? I had to tell them I couldn't add the circuit without correcting the subs first.

#21669 02/08/03 11:48 PM
K
kinetic Offline OP
I am a liscensed electrical contractor and have much to learn but common sense tells you when something just isn't right and I do have the sense to seek a higher source e.i. NEC or fellow electrician . I think to many handyman assume to much because it worked before and seem to rely on HD or Lowe's to answer their questions. I dread walking through the aisle overhearing them explain something to a handyman or even a homeowner. I also wish a homeowner would think it through when it comes to dollar signs. A true electrician might charge more per hour but almost gauranteed to get out their hair much faster and with a safer and better looking job. I will admit a handyman has his place but most don't know when to say, "you need to call a pro."

#21670 02/09/03 09:38 AM
T
I work with an apartment complex that allows carpenters to do electrical upgardes in apartments. Keeps me very busy repairing all their screwups.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard