ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
I just learned a cool new trick while pulling in some panel feeders last night. You know how it takes forever to remove the duct tape from a head when pulling in panel feeders? This guy tied a two foot long piece of jet line just above the head on the loop of the pulling rope. Then duct taped it up along with the 3/0 wire we were pulling in. After we pulled it in I asked what the jet line was for and he took a hold of the end and pulled up. It split the duct tape like a rip cord. what a great idea.

Wow that is a really good idea

L
Why didn't I ever think of that?!!!!
Hey how about using a 1 1/8" fender washer on you're 1/2" hole saw to keep from biting in and snaping the bit when you finally punch the arbor bit through?

S
SJT Offline
Sounds good about the duct tape, but what about a pulling basket? Easy to take off when done?
Where would the fender washer go? In the hole saw? Just tryin to picture it.
Thanks

C
Pulling baskets are a royal PITA....someone always loses the "right one", the loose strands stab me, etc.

I like the rip-cord idea...wish you mentioned it 2 weeks ago when we did our 500KCM pulls (12 runs x 4 wires x 200')...that would have saved some time.
We usulally wrap the head w/rags, back tape and tape with duct tape. Sure the head comes apart quickly - but that rip-cord would be even faster!

The hole saw "tip" is like this...load the drill up with your hole saw, arbor and pilot(just like usual). Then slip the fender washer over the pilot - you will have the pilto extending through the fender, and the fender is blocking the hole saws teeth. After the pilot punched through the material, remove the fender and continue drilling with the hole saw. This is a GREAT tip (I do it every time) because sometimes the holesaw (w/o fender) will bind on the material. This binding action is accompanied by the drill's twisting and attempting to break your wrist.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
C
Cow Offline
Instead of a fender washer, I just set the clutch on my cordless.

R
You guys use a hole saw for cutting duct tape? [Linked Image]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
S
SJT Offline
Thanks Celtic, for the explanation.

C

You guys use a hole saw for cutting duct tape?

You DON'T ????

LOL

Yesterday, I sent a very annoying 1st year apprentice down to the trailer to get me a "compression BX connector and a water-proof redhead". I think he's still looking - LMAO [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Celtic (edited 10-25-2005).]

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...

Link Copied to Clipboard