ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 256 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jps1006 Offline OP
I'm having trouble finding references. When I'm done typing this I'm going to go
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/the_store/NEC_Code2002.htm?RCKeepShoping=Keep+Shopping

and get myself the 99'-2002 handbook on CD rom.

I've been told no electric on the grid, only power directly associated with grid mounted fixtures can be supported by the grid, power can be supported as long as it has dedicated pencil rods gong to it etc., etc.

Is there an NEC reference or is this a building code issue. I'm sure it is also a local issue.

R

Roger

J
Jps1006 Offline OP
Quick. Thanks Roger. Now I'd like to see you with a pistol.

J
Jps1006 Offline OP
Okay, so under what circumstance would these:
http://www.erico.com/products/CADDYcfcElecCompSprts.asp

be used? Are these only for the exception?

For you inspectors, under what conditions do you allow wiring fastened to the grid? Do you require ceiling manufacture's instructions allowing such?

E
Ceiling grids come in three basic weights. If you find the heavy duty weight, it may be sufficient to attach the conduit to the grid. Light duty grid, never. Yes, it is required by the building code to obtain the permission of the engineer who designed the ceiling grid to attach the wiring to the grid. We lowly electricians never know the weight of the tiles, nor the capacity of the supporting wires, nor the weight of the grid.
Seems kinda odd, because the weight of the fixtures is often much greater than the weight of the wires, and there is no limit on the number or weight of fixtures in the NEC, other than the manufacturers installation instructions.

Earl
S
Here in Phoenix, AZ we run our own grid wires that are painted red to allow the inspector to differentiate our wires from the grid guy's wires. Then we use these, http://www.erico.com/products/CADDYcfcConduitHangers.asp

When using conduit you need to use the #9 wires, which are thicker than the the normal #12 wires. #12 wires are sufficient for running mc cable.

You will need to use these with the #9 wires so you don't bend the grid and it helps to differentiate from the grid guy's wires. http://www.erico.com/products/CADDYcfcIndElectDrp.asp

Cat Servant
Prooving once again that great minds think alike.....
With luck, tomorrow there will be a pic in the Photo forum, with exactly this same question!

J
Jps1006 Offline OP
Looking forward to it. I searched the archives and was suprised to see little discussion on the topic over the last 5 years. Then, within hours of each other......

G
I may have oversimplified the rules but when I looked at wiring methods supported above a "T"bar, I just satisfied myself that the load was being carried by a support method other than what the "T"bar guy installed to hold up his stuff. If there appeared to be a different kind of wire than the ceiling support and that was carrying the electrical it was OK with me.
There is a lot of "judgement call" here.
I was really just happy to see it was't laying on the ceiling tile but I did try to enforce the intent of the code.
Before they tightened up this article there was really a lot of abuse in suspended ceilings, like MC daisy chained between the layins, with no support at all.

Greg Fretwell
D
Here's something I always wondered:

How do the cieling guys attach the wire to the building supports without having to reach up there?

Is there some pole that they use, standing on the floor and twisting the wire in place?

Any help...

Dnk......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard