ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 250 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#52710 06/03/05 09:41 AM
R
royta Offline OP
With the recent thread on can manufacture, I thought I'd ask what size cans you use for various ceiling heights. If you use 6" for 8 foot ceilngs, are you dropping down to an R30, or you still using an R40?

A
We use R-30's for most cases. For 2 story lights in big rooms Par38 90-100w work better but it costs much more.

Tom

S
I second the motion ... R30s are usually fine and they're easier to get in & out of the can (more finger room). I just put a few in a sitting room with a 9'2" ceiling. No noticeable light loss.

R
royta Offline OP
So, you're both using 6" cans regardless of ceilng height?

A
I don't remember seeing a house with a can bigger then 6" unless your count those old square things.

6" is just the standard size. 5" cans can use the R-30 65w also so there is not much differance except price. 4" can go 50w and same with the 3". Smaller cans can look nice but cost more and are harder to work with.

A taller cieling lets the light spread out farther. One rule of thumb is the light sperads out 1/2 the distance of the hight. In the back of some can catologs has a lot of details for different combos of cans, trims, bulbs, & hights. You can make 6" work for most things you just have to space them for what you need.

Someone could write a small book on lighting and different recomended spacing for what is needed. I would buy it. Otherwise it is lear by doing. Pay also attention to finished jobs that others have done. What works, what is shadowy, & find the goofs (like a can avove a frig).

Once you understand what is needed the next thing is making the customer understand. Too often they request too few cans to save. Then it can be a battle just to make them understand thy don't know what they need.

Tom

[This message has been edited by Active 1 (edited 06-03-2005).]

Link Copied to Clipboard