ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#49550 03/09/05 05:56 PM
J
jkraft Offline OP
Just finishing up a new house, have all the power on, plug in the first smoke and it trips the AFCI. I've had smokes on these circuits before with no problem. Tryed a different smoke and a different AFCI, no help. Any ideas?

D
same topic different question sorry to hijack. maybe someone can answer both. your wiring a new house and tying together all Smoke detectors do they hafta be on an arc fault?

Scott
G
The NEC says all
outlets of any kind in a bedroom must be on AFCI. Here in Idaho the State has issued an advisory that it and all local AHJ's will accept smoke detectors in bedrooms without AFCI protection until such time as the technology catches up to the reality.

S
Don't your Smokes have to be on a dedicated circuit.

Rob

G
Well, no. There is no required dedicated circuit for smoke detectors in a dwelling in the '02 NEC.
I don't do houses anymore, and while I think that a seperate smoke detector circuit is good planning, most of the time it's a cost issue and we all know how that goes.
I have heard reports of this problem with AFCI's and smoke detectors from a lot of guys. I think Idaho has the right idea, for now.

B
OR, & WA, said no AFCI on smokes too.
I've never put smokes on dedicated circuit. but I never put enything after them.

So if you do put the smoke on an AFCI in the bedroom and you get an arc that starts a fire is the smoke still goen to work?
Hope the batterys are good?

J
jkraft Offline OP
Smokes are required to be on AFCI in bedrooms.

Smokes are not required to be on seperate circuit.

Problem was neutral to ground contact in a receptacle.

C
We put our smokes on the master bedroom circuit, therefore we have them on AFCI...no problems as of yet...we are in CT.

Link Copied to Clipboard