ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#47070 01/07/05 11:09 PM
C
Cinner Offline OP
Before starting a unit sub we checked for continuity between phases and ground and kept getting continuity b/w red & grnd. It turns out that it was not a ground fault but only something electronically at the meter. Has anyone encountered this problem before and how do you dertermine if it is a true fault or just this electronic equipment causing this? We determined this by simply turning equipmwnt on after not physically seeing any fault in or around the equipment.

Cinner,
What sort of meter is used there?.
My understanding of an energy (KWh) meter, is that it has two coils in it.
One is the Potential coil and that connects across Hot and Neutral.
The other is the Current coil and that connects in series with the Hot wire before it feeds the load.
I'm thinking maybe that the Potential coil may have upset your continuity readings, because of a reference to Ground through the Neutral.
We determined this by simply turning equipmwnt on after not physically seeing any fault in or around the equipment.
Can't say that I like the idea of that technique, because if there had have been a genuine fault on the circuit, things could have happened. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard