ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#41178 08/17/04 12:16 AM
E
Elzappr Offline OP
I was out of town last week, doing a cursory "PM" on a small service for a computer center, and noticed that one breaker's trip unit was making a barely audible sizzling/snapping sound. The current draw was only 20%, and there was no evidence of loose connections or discoloration. Since this breaker fed some vital UPS equipment and another computer equipment panelboard, I didn't want to even THINK about shutting it down to replace the trip unit. BUT, it would be good to know if some noise coming out of a trip unit is at all normal. Anyone have experience with Westinghouse breakers' trip units (in a Cutler Hammer switchboard)making noise?

E
e57 Offline
That sizzling sound is just that, aching away until it gives up the ghost.

Replace it soon, or you'll be doing it later. Maybe the buss work its attached to as well....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
B

Elz, these comments are worth every penny you paid for ‘em.

Given that the noise could indicate a serious problem, if it is a molded-case breaker, get the client rep to let you remove the breaker front cover while in service, {it should be removable if having an interchangeable trip} making every reasonable effort not to open the breaker, but very plainly understood that you not be liable if it happens.

If it is a so-called “critical” load, would the client prefer to prepare for a trip while you are there, or at another time when you might be an hour away and him desperately needing to find a fried-breaker replacement—should that be the only damage during unscheduled failure?

I get the “Where’s your dual-redundant everything?” stance when people start demanding immediate and absolute answers, sometimes followed by a “Please show me your scripted contingency plans for loss of power to this system.” and, “You mean to tell me that a single-point failure will cause some sort of operational disruption? Who decided on that brilliant scheme?” [There are financial operations and data centers that spend serious money on equipment and planning—having learned from expensive mistakes.]

If the client won’t buy into your plan, walk away and don’t lose any sleep over it.

Thermal imaging or AC millivolt-drop tests could be made with the breaker in service. Noise may be from high harmonic current in the circuit.

It may be apparent that over the last decades, I have become cynical and impatient with clueless, self-important, dime-a-dozen hotshot, junior-MBA managers that demand supreme, unfaltering NASA-grade reliability from electrical gear that they barely paid Wallmart prices for, particularly under the guise of protecting their precious data of value akin to the Dead Sea scrolls.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 08-17-2004).]

R
if it is a molded-case breaker, get the client rep to let you remove the breaker front cover while in service,
Don't forget the PPE that is required for this work. A short circuit study and arc-blast/flash calculation will be required to select the proper PPE.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
C
ELZ, I agree with Bjarney, you have a shutdown waiting to happen. If I was to bet on it 2:00AM when you dead tired. Noise out of the trip unit is bad.

I do thermal imaging as part of my job. Find someone in your area to do an infarred scan of the breaker. This is a lot safer than opening the breaker front cover live. I am not saying you can't do this, just infarred is safer and less likey to cause the breaker to trip. Also do the millivolt drop test across the breaker.

I
Here is a 'picture' CaptAl took with the thermal imaging camera.

[Linked Image]

This one is dramatic but the camera can find very small problems.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
R
Ron Offline
What is it in the picture? Seems like a control wire terminal strip or something of that sort.

Ron
W
Looks to me like a row of three pole switches or breakers.

Toward the center right there looks like a 3 pole module that is off, and it is cooler than the other.

The wires on the top of the picture go into one of those plastic finger wire ducts.

I am guessing that this is a row of DIN mounted breakers in some bit of equipment, rather than a panelboard.

And it looks like one of the terminals on one of the breakers/switches is in sorry shape.

-Jon

I
I am pretty sure Al told me it was an enclosure filled with IEC style breakers.

[Linked Image from eatonelectrical.com]

I am sure he will get back to us, we work together. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
I
I think Jon wins the prize.
[Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Massachusetts