ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#39963 07/09/04 08:21 PM
B
I see in our local news where the electrician that connected power to a fair ride without proper grounding, which killed a small boy was sentenced to 30 days in jail, 200 hrs community service, 2 yrs probation, and must pay 55k restituion to the family of the boy.
I know I am amazed at what I see at street fairs and carnivals. I used to volunteer on hook up day at a street fair but I quit after I saw the leader replace 3,480V, 400A fuses with copper pipe so he could tell which stand was blowing the fuse. WOW! Maybe this sentence of this sparky will get some attention of the people who set up these events!

#39964 07/09/04 08:48 PM
R
The News story can be found HERE

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#39965 07/09/04 09:02 PM
R
bfdpoc221 I haven't said it yet, but welcome to the forum.

Another sad part of this story is infarct this sentence, but for a different reason in my view. The truly guilty people have not even been charged.

This is an elderly man that didn't want to sit down and spend his latter years waiting to expire. He took on this job not knowing how to do it, but the bottom line is he was not the criminal.

If an apprentice electrician wired a building with blatant mistakes (he would think he was doing things right) and were allowed to do it, the laws and those who wrote these laws (or didn't) that allowed him to do it would be the criminal parties.

The governing authority has killed a young child, probably killed this elderly gentleman, ruined the lifes of the families of the child and the elderly gentleman, and affected us here as well as everyone that is familiar with this incident.

I think the Ohio Governor should shoulder this guilt.

Sorry to be so passionate on this issue,

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 07-09-2004).]

#39966 07/09/04 09:34 PM
H
I agree with Roger. I have always felt that the people in charge were the ones responsible because there was no one to inspect the work or ensure that this guy was qualified. It's easy to pick on the little guy and for sure the politicians weren't going to take the fall. They made him into a scape goat to make everyone think they got their pound of flesh. It's just a shame that a jury couldn't see through this.

-Hal

#39967 07/11/04 07:04 AM
U
Hell that sucks [Linked Image]...poor kid.

Prosecutors filed charges against Rock (pictured in court with lawyer, above) and two Ohio Department of Agriculture inspectors, saying they failed to ensure the ride's electrical system was properly grounded.

What happened to the "inspectors"? And what, pray, is the link between the fairground and farming??

If hindsight were foresight, we'd all be millionaires!
#39968 07/11/04 08:35 AM
G
UK,in a lot of States (mine included)traveling carnivals and such are under the jurisdiction of the Dept, of Agriculture.

Russell

#39969 07/11/04 09:25 AM
P
I also agree with Roger, and like Roger, I am pissed off that this has occurred and other things like this occur. It is about time that the proper people stand up and do something!!!
Where were the inspectors? Who was in charge of the fair? How many people have to die for this nonsense to stop? I will say that as long as money passes hands this will not stop!!

I wrote about something similar to this in Mike Holt's website earlier this morning at the Grounding thread.
I know that I am idealistic, but I don't care. This industry as a whole has some fantastic people, but the small percentage of bad apples is hard to look past. As much as some people don't agree with the process Joe Tedesco may be using to try to garner his cause, I give him a tremendous hand for his efforts. This crap has got to stop.
I only hope that this man is not the only one to be prosecuted for this incident.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
#39970 07/11/04 12:13 PM
B
It seems like the term “electrician” in any form to describe such a grossly irresponsible guy is itself taking some criminally wild liberties with news reporting.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 07-11-2004).]

Link Copied to Clipboard