ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#38145 05/15/04 07:35 PM
S
Hello all this is a nice forum i read it daily i am a industrial maint. electrician i dont do much residential , But for a neighbor i went to check his well pump after a lightning strike on a tree 50 yards away? well he had 240 on the pressure swtch and no pump so i ohmed it and yep wide open i had too go too work so he called a plumber but any way? I know its all theory but would did the current do when it traveled down the tree too the ground? Did it dissipate into all directions or find a path such as a well pump casing and finally can anything be done too stop it from happening again any hello from louisiana and all be safe bye

#38146 05/16/04 01:57 AM
B
Although there is some brand-specific information, one reference for submersible water pumps is www.franklin-electric.com/Manual/contents.html

Lightning hits can be gruesome and merciless to a lot of electrical gear. There are usually a lot of variables in the degree of damage a hit causes. Good luck.

Examples of general info on lightning-protection components… www.comm-omni.com/ www.geindustrial.com/products/brochures/9l10f.pdf

#38147 05/16/04 10:11 AM
F
The problem you have is that things like Motors and Transformers love magnetic fields..and lightning strikes are accompnaied by ,albeit momentary, very large ones.

It is quite common for nearby strikes to induce dangerous, fatal or at least damaging voltages into any large inductive circuit/device within range of the mag field.

Most people who claim lightning strikes are usually here to speak because they actually got zapped by large voltages induced in them byt the strike field. Normally the bolt would kill instantly from the heat generated by the strike occuring directly to a person.

Link Copied to Clipboard