ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rmiell Offline OP
I recently received this email, from a person I do not know, but am assumming is a home inspector. Post any thoughts you might have.

"Hi Rick, I was doing a home inspection yesterday and I took note that the meter supplying the house was rated for 100 amp 120/240, no problem. I go inside to inspect the panel and I discover that the main disconnect on the panel is 200 amp, further more there is a 60 amp sub panel. So I understand the system is rated for 100 amp ( lowest ), correct? , is the main panel disconnect 200 amp a major concern? I did not take note of the size of feeders to the panel, sorry, I do know that the piping supply was 2", indicating 200 amp SEC.... right?

Confused on this one, and how to report it.....

Any advice?

Thanks in advance."

Thanks for any input to this set of questions.

Rick Miell

J
Half the time the biggest challange in troubleshooting (especially with somesome who doesn't know the lingo) is figuring out just what the heck he's talking about.

What does he mean that the meter was rated for 100 amp? Is there a sticker that says this? Is there a breaker in meter that is 100amp?

Y
RED TAG
Meter 100 amps main breaker 200 amp wire is not protected per code 100 amps , that is even if riser to pwr co. is rated for 100amps.

H
The POCO can give you any meter they want and size their overhead or UG service conductors any way too. As long as the meter socket and the service conductors on the house are sized for 200 amps per the NEC it's OK.

-Hal

Y
If underground the utilty company usually sizes for larger , But over head down the mast owers wire, also from meter into house owners wire. If meters 100 amp breaker inside 200 DUHHH do the math!

C
sounds like it could have been an upgrade with a new socket, risers, panel and pipe, but no permit? By us, you have to have an approved job and permit to get POCO to change meter. Any sparky can replace service to drop with new riser & wire, replace panel and meter socket(most now are 100/200 amp). ask the inspector to check wire sizes and also see what kind of connectors to POCO lines, if they're brundy's with a lot of tape....

add- (split bolts) to explain "brundy's"

[This message has been edited by chi spark (edited 05-05-2004).]

M
I believe he may have been looking at the name plate on the front of the meter.
The POCO's meters will often have a printed amperage of 30A or 50A, it isn't unusual to find a 50 amp KWH meter set in a 200 amp meter base.

N
Have seen a few meters labelled as 15A on 200A services....

N
Tell the home inspector to get a qualifed electrician to inspect the electrical service. It sounds as if this home inspector does not know what he is talking about.

ed
On the meter ratings... Usually the "max continuous amperage" of the meter will be displayed with the letters "CL" or current load.. IE.. CL 100 or CL 200 ... the "15A" seen on some meters indicates the load which was placed on the meter at the factory during calibration.. (typically on older meters)

This is info given to me by a San Diego Gas & Electric planner.

-Randy

BTW.... So Cal Edison seems to have their own little code here... 100A underground services are typically fed via #2 AL XPF cable... 200A by 1/0 AL XPF cable.. & they want a 3 inch conduit for the latter... I guess so they can "blow" the wires in! [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard