ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#37074 04/21/04 01:02 AM
... This is the 2nd time a "customer" had me seal permits, and wound up doing the work themselves...I sealed this particular permit about 2 months ago,and was waiting to hear back from the guy about when I can start the job...Lo and behold,I never heard from him again,and today the AHJ from that town called me and asked if I'd done the work...I replied NO, and he said it was atrocious...Luckily for me,I knew the AHJ,and he knew I hadn't done it,but he said he had to inquire if I'd done it anyhow...The HO bold-faced lied to the Inspector,and told him I did in fact do it..When I was told of this I was LIVID!!!!
The AHJ said I need to go down and tell what happened in writing,then they'll impose some hefty fines on this slime-ball..
Anyone else have this problem..??
Russ

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
#37075 04/21/04 01:18 AM
J
let 'em have it Russ.

Never had this happen that I know about. Some villages around here let anyone do the paper work and sign the forms, so I suppose if my registration was public record, anyone could say I was doing the work whether I was or not.

#37076 04/21/04 01:18 AM
N
no signed contract = no permit applied for.

If the customer wants to get plans approved they can either hire an engineer to create them or sign my contract to do so.

Attic rat IMHO fill out the AHJ's forms then tell that customer good bye and send him to your most expensive and nasty competetor

ed
#37077 04/21/04 09:20 AM
E
If the AHJ has inspected your previous project then he should know that you have not done this project. Besides there is no signed contract, proof of payments, proof of down payment, proof of notice of completion.
So by not having any of the above AHJ should know that you did not do the project.

Eward

Thanks
Edward
#37078 04/21/04 09:37 AM
C
The non-start has happened to me in city and suburbs a few times- If the work is not begun or scheduled in a timely manner, I just send the building department a letter stating that we are not associated with that project and we request voiding the permit. When we are a part of a larger permit, it puts the general under the scope too. I haven't had a problem with this, the AHJ doesn't gripe at all, we have a paper trail and it puts the ball in the city's court. It also has not been a problem with the procrastinating customer, some have been surprised at the response, but they are made aware of this upon acceptance and in your contract you get the permit fee as part of deposit.

[This message has been edited by chi spark (edited 04-21-2004).]

#37079 04/21/04 04:01 PM
J
I think that a call to a lawyer would be in order. What happened if the house burned down and someone had died and it was related to the work done. The town thinks you did it and you would end up in a corner trying to prove you didn't do the work even though you pulled a permit for it.
I say file something against the person for your own pertection down the road

#37080 04/21/04 04:24 PM
S
This hasn't happened to me (yet), but I can see the potential. If the homeowner has pulled the permit for a remodel job all I need to do as far as the electrical permit is to call the city permitting department and ask them to add me to the permit as the EC. There is no way for them to know if it's me on the phone or the homeowner. As far as the license number, it's in the city data bank or if they really want to be prepared if available from the state licensing web site http://lookup.llronline.com/Lookup/Contractors.asp. I was discussing this with another EC a few weeks ago and IMHO I could pull a permit, complete a job, and get it inspected on anyone's license that I wanted. I see this as a potential legal minefield.

[This message has been edited by SteveMc (edited 04-21-2004).]

#37081 04/21/04 04:29 PM
M
It happened to me once but it was a GC who did the work. The inspector called me personally and told me to check out the finished job. My 2 year old could have done better. The city let us retract the permit. I never heard from that job again, thank God.

Blessings, Mark

#37082 04/21/04 05:08 PM
T
Get a Rope !!! [Linked Image]

Donnie
#37083 04/21/04 07:13 PM
L
LK Offline
Russ,
We get these about two times a year, but GC's are the best at this scheme, they bring you the prints, you quote them, and then they sign the contract you seal the permit, and then weeks go by, and then a month goes by, so you call to see what is the status of the job, they tell you it will start a little late, there are some delays with the loan for the owner, so you wait and wait, now before you know it, three months have passed, you call again, this time they say Oh! the owner is waiting till september for the kids to be back in school, Ill call as soon as i hear from the owner, that is the last you will hear from the GC, what has happened is, he did the wiring himself with your permit.
So now, what we do is send a certified letter to the building department, letting them know, we did not do work at this address, and enclose a copy of the permit and the contract, so we are not a contractor of record at that address.
This allows the local AHJ to take action.
Here in NJ a Seal is required on the permit so you can not just use a number.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 04-21-2004).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard