ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#34315 02/08/04 03:19 PM
A
I am planning a new web site. I would like opinions about listing prices for common services on the internet or other places.
The ads would be just our normal prices which I think are about inline to a bit cheaper with our area.
Of coarse I would have some disclaimers at the bottom like “prices starting at”, “call for details”, “prices subject to change”, or “some restrictions apply”.

I want to do this for three reasons:

1. To help qualify my sales calls so the customer has at least an idea what a small job might cost. I am a small outfit so I spend most of the day at a job. I hate calls during the day from someone that thinks we can do a job for almost nothing. I want to avoid this by advertising some of my prices.
2. When I am on the internet looking at other things I have much more interest in a company that has open up front pricing. Some companies want your information so the can contact you back with a price. Most of the time I don’t give them my information and go on to the next site.
3. On small jobs I don’t like to spend the time to give an estimate if there is no intention of us doing the work at the time. On sales phone calls I will just ask a few questions and give a standard price. Maybe the ad price can do this for me. I can’t understand how some EC can spend the time to go to the potential customer’s house to price out something like cutting in a bedroom ceiling fan in an area where every house is the same.

I was told it could also be bad to advertise my prices.

1. The customer might start with what they saw on my web and go around to other EC until they get a lower price by saying can you do this for any less than this.
2. Any other EC in my area that finds my prices may have an advantage over me.
3. If my prices at too cheap I might build up a cliental of penny pinchers.

Also I was wondering if some of you had limits for going to a new potential customer’s house for a free estimate on small jobs.

Tom

#34316 02/08/04 04:04 PM
L
LK Offline
Active 1,
When I asked this question about prices, another contractor told me to look in the yellow pages and see how many contractors advertise price. I looked, and found none.

As far as the phone goes, Your bigest asset is answering your phone, not a machine. Get a cell, and forward your office calls while you are out. This alone could cost half of your lost business.

The internet, well if you are waiting for business from internet customers, best to buy a rocking chair.

On quotes for small jobs. You can quote any job just charge a trip fee, and apply it to the job if they accept, or give them time and material quote.

#34317 02/09/04 01:55 AM
E
Active 1,
you have a point by prequalifying your potential prospect. They will have an idea on the price that you will charge.
I usally go out for an estimate on larger jobs. (panel upgrades, certain circuit pulls...)
If it is a new fan with wiring i have a set price if it has attic or not and the height of the ceiling as well. However, quotes over the phone might change if the job description was not accurate from the client.

I think if you try to answer your phone every chance you get and try not to bullshit the client and provide them with a service that they did not expect, then people do not mind paying more than what your competitors offer.

That is my 2cents worth.

get a call forwarding from your phone company. forward all your call to your cell phone and try to pickup every time it rings.

Edward

Thanks
Edward
#34318 02/09/04 01:56 AM
E
By the way.

good luck. Wish the best.

Thanks
Edward
#34319 02/09/04 04:35 AM
Tom,
Did you know that ECN has Free web-sites?.
And also (I think, Bill could confirm this) help to set it up!.
Bill,
What's your angle on this, mate?. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard