ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#30946 11/03/03 09:23 PM
R
Ryan_J Offline OP
Last night my wife and I were watching the Simpsons when I found myself explaining to her why the cartoon knife switch wasn't code compliant because gravity could close the circuit.

Every time my three year old daughter and I go anywhere she points out the exit signs and "bugeyes" to me, after we walked through a hotel pushing the test buttons to find out if they work!

My daughter tells me any time she sees a code violation. "Daddy!!!! Look!!!!! Those stairs have 4 stairs and don't have a handrail!!!!!! OH MY GOSH!!!!!"

She told my boss that the city hall doesn't comply the ramp didn't have a handrail!

Do you guys find yourselves unable to leave it on the job? I don't take home the aggression or the bad days, but I can't help but take home what I do for 8 hours a day, ya know?

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#30947 11/03/03 11:04 PM
I usually get a nudge from my kids when I'm looking at something wierd (construction-related).

At least you have someone to share it with, don't complain!
It could be much worse. . . [Linked Image]

Bill

Bill
#30948 11/03/03 11:08 PM
S
Ryan, at the night gig it is 7 days a week. Sideline is running crazy, so I know how you feel. Here is the solution I just used. Our anniversary was last weekend, so I took 4 days of vacation. The wife and I went to another city, went shopping and stayed for 2 days. We sat in the hot tub, bounced around the pool and went out dancing, this was made easier because our daughter is 20 y.o., maybe you need a get-away with the wife.

#30949 11/04/03 12:46 AM
P
Ryan
A vacation may not help the afflicted such as us [Linked Image]
During my recent honeymoon, I noticed some real juicy electrical situations that would make great pics. So I would get up early while my new bride slept and go take pics. I didn't tell her until we got home, because she can't stand that I carry a camera like a third hand.
When we were signing our wedding license at town hall, I noticed violations in the room. So I took my camera out, which mortified my bride, and snapped the pics. [Linked Image]

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
#30950 11/04/03 02:05 AM
C
Last summer I went climbing in the bugaboos. In the midst of the spectacular scenery of towering granite spires, pristine glaciers, and spandex clad climber girls, (the latter being mostly hopeful thinking), I noticed a small Hydro-electric generator, supplying power to the Conrad Kain Hut, and I just had to go over and check out the specs.

#30951 11/04/03 02:46 AM
E
e57 Offline
Here's the gig, look at the times your messages are posted...... Wait, look at he time my message is posted, got to go!

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#30952 11/04/03 03:03 AM
E
Everytime we are out shopping in the mall or other locations i am not looking in front instead my eyes are scoping out the ceiling piping,lighting, panel installations and...etc.
especially when it is a open type ceiling and all the piping is exposed. And if i find any violation and bring it up to managers/owners attentions they do not do a dam thing about it.

Edward

Thanks
Edward
#30953 11/04/03 07:54 AM
P
At least I'm not alone! I find myself looking at power wiring, data wiring, telephone wiring, any kind of wiring in just about every place I go.

#30954 11/04/03 03:32 PM
P
you guys don't know how good you've got it.i'm a combination inspector and when i'm on vacation i look at everything;electrical,plumbing,mechanical,and building code issues.it's not easy being me either! [Linked Image]

#30955 11/04/03 04:25 PM
S
I'm always looking around at the woodworking and electrical, plus other methods of construction, seeing how others solved problems and built things. Crown molding, conduit, etc. One friend of mine called me "Raymond" when I was scrutinizing various aspects of the walls and ceiling. I guess it looks weird to him that everybody will be sitting around talking small talk while one of the members of the group is looking up at the ceiling.

I guess that when he looks up at a ceiling, he only sees a ceiling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard