ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 270 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
I curently own and run an electrical contracting business in Scotland UK and would like to set up in business in the Sarasota area of Florida.
Can anyone assist me on how to go about dealing with the red tape/licence/insurance
and any of the pros and cons.
Thanks.
Canot stand working in the rain anymore.....

G
Not sure about Sarasota, but the Florida county I am in has a website and all the email addys for all the officials and you could probably find out or email someone who will answer you with all the info you would need. There is also a Florida state government website that gives lots of info and tells you what you have to do to get set up in business. A quick net search would probably yeild good results but if you want I can probably look up a few addy's to give ya. Just let me know. A chief inspector over one of the jurisdictions here allows anyone to send their email address to him and he supplies you with updates, info about meetings, etc., and allows you to email him any questions you might have. I don't know how prevalent this practice is but I think it's great and sure helps clear up any questions.

Hey John,
Her's Florida's ECLB site http://www.state.fl.us/dbpr/pro/elboard/elec_index.shtml
Here's Sarasota's sitehttp://www.ci.sarasota.fl.us/index2.html

P
John,
Apart from the electrical side of licenses and so on, be prepared to jump through some hoops with the immigration people (now part of the new Dept. of Homeland Security, apparently).

If you're planning on becoming an employee for a Fla. company, getting a work permit involves your prospective employer applying to the state Dept. of Labor on your behalf, demonsrating that they are unable to find an existing U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien who is suitable for the job.

Admittedly I went straight for the full green card rather than just getting a limited-duration work permit first, but the process took almost 12 months from being offered a job to getting my visa. That was for a position in a central Nebraska, so I would imagine that you will have a lot more competition on the Florida Gulf Coast.

If you're thinking about trying to become self-employed from the outset, you'll have to sink a very substantial amount of cash (six figures) into a business before they'll even consider you for a visa.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 09-23-2003).]

Link Copied to Clipboard