ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
walrus Offline OP
Living here on the coast of Maine, the hurricane watch has begun. The latest forecast track has it right over the outer banks in NC but who knows what will happen until its a day or so before landing. Scary stuff for anyone on the eastern seaboard. My house is right on Penobscot Bay, within peeing distance to the high tide mark. A southwest wind would kill me if it was at hurricane strength. I already have plywood for some of the front windows from previous scares. Will I need it again?? Who else is potentially in harms way??

P
Wow! I never realized that so far north was still in the hurricane zone.

I thought most of the hurricanes seldom got much further north than Virginia, or maybe Maryland.

O
OBX Offline
Hello everyone! This is my first post to this forum, have been following for some time now. I really like it and have got alot of questions answered.

I live right here on the Outer Banks of NC. It does not look good at all. Everyone is getting plans together now to leave. [Linked Image]

I still have a rough-in to finish up on Hatteras Island, need to get it done quick so I can get the money while the house is still there. [Linked Image]

Anyways I'm sure I'll post more from now on.

Thanks Tim

[This message has been edited by OBX (edited 09-14-2003).]

S
A few years ago we had one almost roll through New York City.....

I think it just touched the outer edges of the city....I didn't feel anything.

Back in 1985 (or was it 86) we had Hurricane Gloria that was supposed to barrel through NYC. I think we only got the eye and then it died off...I was about 10 years old or so at the time.

Welcome Tim!

I used to vacation down your way in Nags Head, near Jockey Ridge State Park. I imagine there's going to be a Big Traffic Jam if people decide to leave at the same time.

Sven,

I don't remember the year of that last Hurricane that went through our area but the eye went over central Long Island. I was living in Smithtown at the time and remember going outside and how eerily calm it was for awhile. Many people were without power for a week or more after that one because of all the downed trees.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 09-14-2003).]

Bill
W
walrus Offline OP
Pauluk
No doubt Maine is pretty far north for a hurricane. The water outside my house is around 60 F. Not conducive for hurricanes for sure but Maine has over 1000 miles of ocean frontage if one goes into every jag along the coastline. Thousands of fisherman and thousands of boats moored all over the place. I doubt the hurricane would be a Cat 5 more likely a Cat 1 but even that can do big damage especially with a strong surge. All coastal living Mainers are keeping an eye on the weather channel [Linked Image]

OBX
My sister in law lives in Nags Head, she waxes poetic about how beautiful it is(and it is) but she has never been there when a hurricane has come thru. Good luck to you guys, you're pretty close to what appears to be ground zero

[This message has been edited by walrus (edited 09-14-2003).]

B
On the "Big Traffic Jam" exodus, apparently some regional emergency-evacuation planners are talking over temporary "both sides of the road same direction leaving town" as a means of easing the problem.

T
Gulp

Also check out http://www.weather.gov for the latest and greatest info.

G
Yup,
Hey diddle diddle, straight up the middle......of the Chesapeake Bay. Geeeez, I wuz an apprentice when Agnes came through in 72, I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS CRAP!!!!!!!!!

Oh well, get ready. It may burn out, may go another way, but if that 160 mph monster hits the bay, probably be awhile till ya hear from me, unless you're on the ham radio.

BTW, Good links ThinkGood, try www.hwn.org
for the hurricane watch net. Course, it's from a ham's point of view. Hunker down boys, where ever it hits land ain't gonna have a good time.

Well, I'm sitting in New Jersey, just heard the weather on CNN, looked at the track & the "odds" for the neighboring states.

I remember someone saying something about a "100 year storm", well the last Cat 5 in NJ was 99 years ago????

I have a home on a lagoon, about 1/4 mile in from Barnegat Bay. House is <5' above mean high high water level.

Guess I better tie things down, & add a few extra lines to the boat.

John

John
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard