ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 381 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
I need some technical help I have a job to connect two transfer switches and one generator tha means any power failer on the normal feed to any of ATS shuold start the genrator . have never don that befor.
thanks for any help

G
peteranthony,
the start signal to about all gensets is a simple dry closure, so a start signal from either should be fine, that said, why do you need a signal from both?

Is there a possibility that if the power is out on #1, it would still be on for #2? A signal from either one should be sufficient.

T
The only thing I see that would need to be incorporated, is some sort of a run switch, where by if one xfer switch starts it, the other start circuit is locked out, Xfer is still enabled, but the start sequence is interupted. Depending on the internal engineering of the xfer switch, that may already be accomplished.

You might want to look at total start load to make sure that if both tried to come online at the same time, you wouldn't overload the generator, a timer circuit on one would sove that. It means that if it(the one with the timer) came on first, the timer would have to time out before it would xfer, a few seconds at most.

It's not hard to glum out. Just takes a little thinking.

TW

P
the generator is abble to handel the load but we need to be able to start from any ats.
that is when there is a problem in any of the three defrent load by the way this is fora medical building any idia is aprciated.

Link Copied to Clipboard